NH TC40D Remotes

/ NH TC40D Remotes #1  

Qapla

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40D HST 4WD FEL/BH
We have a used NH TC40D with a Sub-frame Backhoe - we do not have the manual.

The remotes used to operate the BH are installed through one of the controls to the right of the seat. These controls have picture-indicators that show them to be controls for cylinders, perhaps a top link, since they can be pushed forward or backward and are in center position by default.

In order for the BH to operate the closest of these controls must be "held" in the back position - this is being done by wrapping a stiff wire around the handle to hold it back. (and, yes, it came this way) Held this way works. I know I can install a locking device on the tractor that will do a better job then the wire, but it just seems there should be a better way.

Is there a better place/way to connect the remotes for the backhoe that would work better and perhaps give better flow to the hoe and allow the remote that is currently being used for the hoe to again work for something like a top-link?

/ NH TC40D Remotes #2  
You won't get more flow any other way.
If the backhoe is hooked up using a power beyond circuit as is more common, you won't have use of your rear remote without either an additional diverter valve or an improper return connection from the backhoe.
Nothing prevents you from using the remote valve in a normal manner when the hoe is dismounted.
There is no off-the-shelf device that I know of that will lock your remote valve lever in a stroked position.
In short, there is nothing wrong with your present setup, and nothing much better to be done.

/ NH TC40D Remotes #3  
I use a short bungee cord to hold the lever back. No problems.

/ NH TC40D Remotes #4  
I use a short bungee cord to hold the lever back. No problems.

+1, Me too! I use a bungee for my 3PH log splitter because it has its own control valve.

Qapla, as unelegant as the wire is, I agree with RickB that you'll not gain much by going with a dedicated circuit. I recommend that if the wire bothers you, just find something that looks better. When you use power beyond, you interrupt the flow to the 3PH and remotes. This requires you to reconnect normal flow when you pull off the backhoe. It adds quick connects and hoses under your right side operator platform. They become snag likely and the quick connects can leak. Your remotes use rigid hydraulic lines and are plumbed very securely. If you didn't have remotes, then the power beyond makes sense. Having remotes makes your setup better even though the wire holding the remote lever may look less than desireable.

/ NH TC40D Remotes
We were thinking of mounting a slide bolt on the cowling next to the lever. When we want the lever locked back, just pull it back and lock the slide bolt in that position. When we want the lever in neutral position, lock the slide bolt in the other position. This is similar to what the Farmtrac we used to have used.

I just wanted to get some input on the use of the lever to activate the remote before we added the bolt.

Just curious, if we push the lever forward and hold it, will all the backhoe controls work backward? (haven't tried it yet)

/ NH TC40D Remotes #6  
Depends on who makes the valve, there might be a detent kit for that valve spool which will keep the spool in detent, or locked on.

Pushing or pulling the valve lever will supply fluid, just have to use the correct work port for the supply for the BH.

If you are using QD's, you might gain a little by going to larger QD's above the hose size.

/ NH TC40D Remotes #7  

Just curious, if we push the lever forward and hold it, will all the backhoe controls work backward? (haven't tried it yet)

Yes, the backhoe will work backwards, and high pressure oil will be supplied to the return side of the valve. The valve spool seals will be prone to failure, so it is important both from a safety and operational standpoint to make the correct hydraulic connections and stroke the remote valve in the proper direction.

/ NH TC40D Remotes #8  
If it is easier for you to come up with a device to lock the lever in the forward position than the reverse position, you can easily just swap the hoses at the remote QCs and everything will work normally.

/ NH TC40D Remotes #10  
Woods makes a "Hose Kit" for backhoe plumbing or an attachment like a log splitter. It replaces the end block at the tank port on the rear axle (same area where rear remote valves go). You can install the block on top of the remote blocks you have there already. You would no longer use one of your remote valves to provide flow to the BH. If the BH is removed however then the hoses must be connected to one another to complete the circuit. The part number is1021867 for your TC40D. Only problem is it costs about $300, certainly not as inexpensive as a bungee cord but It is a very clean setup with easy access. Hoses remain connected when the accessory is not used, when using the implement unplug QDs and plug in the spitter or BH.

Attachments

• IMG_1259.JPG
    IMG_1259.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_1261.JPG
    IMG_1261.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 248