TN needs front balast?

/ TN needs front balast? #1  

Phred

Veteran Member
Tractor
TN70D, 4wd, 16x16 trans
Anybody with a TN feel the need for a front ballast?

I think its critical, with unloaded tires, to use a rear ballast for loader work. But thats with 3000lbs of dirt up front 6+ feet in the air.
So with the loader off do you have any trouble with implements in the 1200 lbs range? That less than half the 3-point rating.

Its handy to have all the remotes free that the loader would normally use and you can actually see up front!!!!
I keep the loader on most of the time and when I take it off the difference is amazing. I prefer the feel of the machine without the loader, although I would not be without one. Very useful.

Fred

/ TN needs front balast? #2  
Very seldom do I do anything where I need the loader off. But yes you do need front ballast with heavy 3 pt equipment or ground engaging equipment. I find my 65 having trouble at times with the 12' disc so I just pick up a load of dirt and it usually takes care of it. It is also handy for picking up rocks as I find them in the field. The more rocks I pick up the more front weight I add. I have only had the loader off my tractor 2 times in the 3 plus years I have owned it. Have you tried to get the suitcase weights from NH for it yet?

/ TN needs front balast?
Robert,

Major safety concern? I assume at some point the front wheels could come up enough to make sterring rather exciting. Although, I assume a back flip would be pretty difficult to achieve...

Your probably wise not to take it off since the loader is easy to pull off but a bit of a pain to get back on.

I have thought about the front weights. I suspect that these are rather pricey considering you are buying a chunk of metal.
I may break down and buy the third remote before I pay for weights. Your rocks idea is much cheaper and I have more than my share.

Thanks for the input.

Fred

/ TN needs front balast? #4  
If you have a QT bucket, you can detach the bucket, leave the loader frame on get better visibility and still keep some weight. I agree, buy remotes, not iron. In fact, buy two and get it done at once.

/ TN needs front balast? #5  
Look at my topic about Front weights.

I was using it when used 3 pt disk harrows (about 1000 lbs) on hilly terrain with slopes, and will use it for pulling corn picker (about 11000 lbs). My tractor is about 1000 lbs lighter than your TN.

/ TN needs front balast?
Z,

Good work on those weights. I bet that was much more cost effective.

Turns out the disc mower was not a big deal. While it weights as much as my rear blade the way it mounts is lower to the ground so its actually much easier on the tractor. The problem with the rear blade is all the weight is in the blade which hangs a good 3 -4 feet back behind the tractor. Quite a torque arm for 1200 lbs.
I can use either without weights up front.

Fred