Ford Carb problem

/ Ford Carb problem #1  

ohbuckhunter

Tractor
ford 4500
I went out today to do a lil bush hoggin and after 25 mins of running the 4500 it started spit n sputering. It finally died and had to get the D17 out to drag it back to the barn. It has the holly carb on in. It seems like its not getting enough fuel now. After i let it sit in the barn for 45 mins it started back up but died again after 5 mins of running. Any ideas

Thanks Dave

/ Ford Carb problem #2  
dirt in the tank, filter full, vacuum in the tank, dirty carb, not enough fire...

/ Ford Carb problem #3  
have you checked fuel flow?

filter screens?

pump?

them holley carbs are picky picky.

soundguy

/ Ford Carb problem
Lol. I just pmed you sound guy. Didn't see your response here. I haven't check anything yet. At work out of town till Thursday. Getting some ideas where to start.

/ Ford Carb problem #5  
keep us posted.

/ Ford Carb problem #6  
There are no less than 4 filters in that fuel system.
First is in the fuel tap in the bottom of the tank. Second is a screen in the fuel pump on the front of the engine. Third is in the sediment bowl behind the carb. Last one is in the brass fitting where the fuel line goes in to the carb.
Start at the front and work your way back. I have never had good luck removing/replacing the screen in the fuel pump. it always leaked afterwards. I would just replace it. About $35 on Fleabay, etc.
If you go through the fuel system it'll probably be good for another 30 years.

/ Ford Carb problem
Ultradog MN said:
There are no less than 4 filters in that fuel system.
First is in the fuel tap in the bottom of the tank. Second is a screen in the fuel pump on the front of the engine. Third is in the sediment bowl behind the carb. Last one is in the brass fitting where the fuel line goes in to the carb.
Start at the front and work your way back. I have never had good luck removing/replacing the screen in the fuel pump. it always leaked afterwards. I would just replace it. About $35 on Fleabay, etc.
If you go through the fuel system it'll probably be good for another 30 years.

I did replace the fuel tank shut off valve when I did the wad gasket a few weeks ago. I'm going to check the rest of the filters when I get home.

/ Ford Carb problem #8  
let us know what you find

/ Ford Carb problem
Check all the filters and replaced the coil. Still not running more than 20 mins. After I did all that I checked the electric fuel pump and it's not sucking very well. So this coming weekend I'm going to do away with the fuel pump and run a direct line from tank to carb with a inline filer in that. The previous owner has allot more messed up on this contraption than I thought when I redid the head. There prolly 5 feet of fuel line total running from tank to pump in front of motor down through the intake than finally to the carb. There has to be at least 5 different splices in the line.

/ Ford Carb problem #10  
try a short run and see what it does.