Mowing 1975 ford 4000 diesel died while plowing---help!

/ 1975 ford 4000 diesel died while plowing---help! #1  

BASSFAN07

Tractor
Kubota L210 Fordson Super Major A
Hey guys,
I borrowed my buddy's 1975 ford 4000 diesel to cut two fields i have because My tractor's lift needs some attention. I was pulling an offset disc. On one pass going down grade maybe 30%, I was approaching the end of the pass and the engine sputtered and then picked back up. I
turned around cut back up the field and then on the next pass down grade, the tractor did the same thing as before except this time it died.
So I checked the diesel level as it appears to be at 1/3-1/2 tank. I read on here all day about fuel starvation due to air or trash in line from tank.
I am going to talk to my buddy today about it but was wondering what sort of advice you all could give. To this point I have put 20+ gallons of fuel all from the same station(road grade) into the tractor without issue. Do you think I could have gotten some bad fuel?
I think I am going to start by Draining the tank and putting new fuel in the tank. Then I am going to put a new fuel filter in it(ask buddy when it was last changed), and check for flow. On Ford's, what is the deal with the drain in the bottom of the fuel filter housing? It feels flimsy. I tried to turn it yesterday and felt like I was going to break it off so I stopped before I could determine if I had ample flow to the filter. Do I just need to keep turning and eventually it will turn? I plan on bleeding the system because I feel I have trash or air In the lines.
Please give any advice you can. Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

/ 1975 ford 4000 diesel died while plowing---help! #2  
A good way to test is to remove the line going into the filter and blow back to the tank with compressed air. If it's trash, that will restore the flow and it will go quite a while before plugging again.

/ 1975 ford 4000 diesel died while plowing---help!
CTPhil said:
A good way to test is to remove the line going into the filter and blow back to the tank with compressed air. If it's trash, that will restore the flow and it will go quite a while before plugging again.

Will this cause me to have to bleed out the whole system still if I find this works?

/ 1975 ford 4000 diesel died while plowing---help! #4  
You are going to have to bleed it no matter what. You might as well just check everything out in one shot. If that thumb screw wont come loose, you could just take the bolt out that holds goes through the center. It will be a bit more messy, that's all.

While you have the filter and water trap off, turn the fuel back on to check your flow coming from the tank.

Thanks for the info. This is my afternoon project for tomorrow.

/ 1975 ford 4000 diesel died while plowing---help! #6  
Definitely trash in the tank. Run it until it happens again, then shut it down and see what happens when you remove the fuel line from the tank. Good luck on getting the crud out. Do buy several fuel filters.

Got it running. Drained 9 gallons of fuel. Blew out line. Put on new fuel filter. Bled system. Fired her up.
Thanks for the help guys.