Midwest Select-o-speed mechanic needed.

/ Midwest Select-o-speed mechanic needed. #1  

ZigZaggin

Tractor
Ford 3000
have a 1968 Ford 3000 with select-o-speed. Tractor is in good shape (3700 hrs) and all 10 speeds on the transmission work great and I have been pulling a 72" scraper box with no problem. However, My PTO has some issues. It spins but when I put a load on it it stops. I have meticulously went through the PTO cable adjustment process and even spoke with the Guy at Arthur's tractors in Indiana, PA. I have the length adjusted correctly. Tried a 48" tiller and as soon as the tines hit the ground the PTO would stop spinning. I understand that the PTO clutch packs are the first to go in and the last to come out! I have a service manual and have done full engine rebuilds but tranny's are not my thing. I'm looking for someone knowledgeable and experienced with the SOS's. I live in Iowa and am willing to split the tractor etc but want to take the tranny someone that will fix the PTO correctly the first time. I've thought about Arthur's in PA but it's a 12 hr drive and am hoping to find someone just as good but closer. Thanks!

Last edited:
   / Midwest Select-o-speed mechanic needed. #2  
You could easily spend a bunch of dough on that tranny and still not get it right.
A buddy of mine has a complete 6 speed tranny and rear end that would slap right on your tractor. Located in Minneapolis

100_02301.jpg

/ Midwest Select-o-speed mechanic needed. #3  
We have got a shop in creston where we can work select o speed transmissions. If you are interested shoot me an e-mail

/ Midwest Select-o-speed mechanic needed. #4  
   / Midwest Select-o-speed mechanic needed.
Call me. 309-292-0207. Thanks, -Dan

/ Midwest Select-o-speed mechanic needed. #6  
Norfolk Implement in Norfolk Nebraska has mechanics that can fix these. I rebuilt two ford 4000 selectospeeds and they arent that hard to do but take your time and follow th eservice manual

/ Midwest Select-o-speed mechanic needed. #7  
have a 1968 Ford 3000 with select-o-speed. Tractor is in good shape (3700 hrs) and all 10 speeds on the transmission work great and I have been pulling a 72" scraper box with no problem. However, My PTO has some issues. It spins but when I put a load on it it stops. I have meticulously went through the PTO cable adjustment process and even spoke with the Guy at Arthur's tractors in Indiana, PA. I have the length adjusted correctly. Tried a 48" tiller and as soon as the tines hit the ground the PTO would stop spinning. I understand that the PTO clutch packs are the first to go in and the last to come out! I have a service manual and have done full engine rebuilds but tranny's are not my thing. I'm looking for someone knowledgeable and experienced with the SOS's. I live in Iowa and am willing to split the tractor etc but want to take the tranny someone that will fix the PTO correctly the first time. I've thought about Arthur's in PA but it's a 12 hr drive and am hoping to find someone just as good but closer. Thanks!

There's no black magic in your S-O-S, and experienced S-O-S mechanics are a dying breed.

If you have done engine rebuilds and have the proper Ford service manual, there is no reason that you cannot rebuild your transmission yourself.

I plan to rebuild the S-O-S in my 64 4000 before restoration when time permits.

SDT