Default Hour meter. Real time versus RPM time

I think all hour meters should be in RPM time. Example one hour at 540 pto or operating RPM =one hour. My 1969 international hour meter is this way. If your idleing it will take 2 or 3 real hours to get an hour on the meter. When you put a 100 hours on my international, its a working 100 hours. On the New tractors it seems is real hours. If someone doesnt do hardly any work with it but just putts around and stuff for 100 hours it really doesnt reflect how the tractor was used. When you buy a used tractor, You cant really go by the hour meter if its in real time because you dont know what kind of hours are on the tractor and it make a big difference. Something to keep in mind if your buying a tractor ask how the hour meter works. I would say 100 hours on my inernational is like 2 or 300 on this new one.

Tractor
    NH TC18 Hydro

Default Re: Hour meter. Real time versus RPM time

My dealer told me that my hour meter is based on RPMs, more RPMs = Hours accrue faster. It does seem to work that way, but I don't have anything else to compare it to.

Im looking at owners manuel now and it calls it a proof meter and says. "records the hours and portions of hours that your tractor has been operated regardless of engine RPM."

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2000 New Holland TC29D with 7308 FEL, and top & tilt. 1950 John Deere B. 1940 Farmall A.

I left mine idleing while I was cleaning and greasing my mower, and the hour meter advanced at a rate of 1/10th of an hour = 1/10th of an hour. I agree that it should advance at a slower rate when the tractor is just idleing, or at least only advance when the wheels or the PTO is turning.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    No longer have :-(

Is there a difference between the "classes" of Boomers? I believe the class III Boomers are RPM hours, at least mine seems to work that way.

Tractor
    2001 New Holland TC40D w/16LA loader

Nope - on all of them it's engine hours. I put on quite a few splitting logs with a hydraulic (not PTO) powered splitter.
    Mark