Hour meter. Real time versus RPM time

/ Hour meter. Real time versus RPM time #1  

Anonymous Poster

I think all hour meters should be in RPM time. Example one hour at 540 pto or operating RPM =one hour. My 1969 international hour meter is this way. If your idleing it will take 2 or 3 real hours to get an hour on the meter. When you put a 100 hours on my international, its a working 100 hours. On the New tractors it seems is real hours. If someone doesnt do hardly any work with it but just putts around and stuff for 100 hours it really doesnt reflect how the tractor was used. When you buy a used tractor, You cant really go by the hour meter if its in real time because you dont know what kind of hours are on the tractor and it make a big difference. Something to keep in mind if your buying a tractor ask how the hour meter works. I would say 100 hours on my inernational is like 2 or 300 on this new one.

/ Hour meter. Real time versus RPM time #2  
My dealer told me that my hour meter is based on RPMs, more RPMs = Hours accrue faster. It does seem to work that way, but I don't have anything else to compare it to.

/ Hour meter. Real time versus RPM time
Im looking at owners manuel now and it calls it a proof meter and says. "records the hours and portions of hours that your tractor has been operated regardless of engine RPM."

/ Hour meter. Real time versus RPM time #4  
I left mine idleing while I was cleaning and greasing my mower, and the hour meter advanced at a rate of 1/10th of an hour = 1/10th of an hour. I agree that it should advance at a slower rate when the tractor is just idleing, or at least only advance when the wheels or the PTO is turning.

/ Hour meter. Real time versus RPM time #5  
Is there a difference between the "classes" of Boomers? I believe the class III Boomers are RPM hours, at least mine seems to work that way.

/ Hour meter. Real time versus RPM time #6  
Nope - on all of them it's engine hours. I put on quite a few splitting logs with a hydraulic (not PTO) powered splitter.
Mark