FEL - Class I vs Class II

/ FEL - Class I vs Class II #1  

Mosey

Veteran Member
Tractor
2000 New Holland TC29D with 7308 FEL, and top & tilt. 1950 John Deere B. 1940 Farmall A.
There has been quite a lot of discussion about the 7308 FEL. There are some, including myself, who feel the lift capacity is not what it could/should be on a Class II Boomer (TC25/29/33) and the TC30. Some existing threads on this subject:

7308 loader questions

Lift capacity of NH 7308 loader

Increasing Hydraulic pressure

Tweaked FEL Output

I was just looking at the NH specs on their web site

New Holland FELs

The 12LA, which is for a Class I Boomer, is rated HIGHER than the 7308, which is for a Class II Boomer! Can someone explain this?

/ FEL - Class I vs Class II #2  
Well, it is and it isn't, depending on where you find the info and where you measure. As I understand it, the 12LA is rated at 1090 at the pivots and the 7308 is a little less than that -- 1065? I don't have the numbers in front of me.

But, the 12LA has a working rating of 750 and the 7308 is 865. Again, the numbers are from memory, but all of them are from NH somewhere on their website or brochures.

I can't explain why their is a larger difference between the ratings on the 12LA than there is on the 7308, unless the 12LA really is stronger, and NH listed it artificially low so they could continue to sell 7308s.

All I know for sure is that my 12LA has done everything I expected of it. I have "asked" for it to do some more at times, but it politely let's me know when it can't do anymore. By the way, I have lifted the rear end of my TC18 right off the ground, with loaded R4 tires and a box blade on the back, trying to pull up roots. I also have no trouble lifting the front end off the ground using either the lift or the curl. But then, the TC18 is kinda light...

/ FEL - Class I vs Class II
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Well, it is and it isn't, depending on where you find the info and where you measure. As I understand it, the 12LA is rated at 1090 at the pivots and the 7308 is a little less than that -- 1065? I don't have the numbers in front of me.)</font>

Don - The link above is to the NH spec sheet on their web site. They list the lift capactiy at the bucket pivot. The 12LA is 1090 lbs and the 7308 is 1020 lbs.

/ FEL - Class I vs Class II #4  
The front ends where beefed up on the tc18,21,24 to handle the additional weight of the lifting capacity of the 12la loaders. The front ends will be beefed up on the new tc33da so that it can handle more weight when the new 14la loader comes out.

/ FEL - Class I vs Class II #5  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( The link above is to the NH spec sheet on their web site. They list the lift capactiy at the bucket pivot. The 12LA is 1090 lbs and the 7308 is 1020 lbs. )</font>

Are those specs the max for the loader alone, or the rating as installed on a particular tractor? The 7308 is rated for 875# lift capacity, 2344# breakout force when mounted on a TC29/TC33 or TC30 (it is capable of lifting more on some other NH/Ford tractors). The 12LA is rated at 750# lift capacity, 1220# breakout force when installed on the TC18/21/24.

These figures are from NH sales brochures for the the specific tractor/loader combinations mentioned above. Unfortunately, they don't mention where they are measuring.

John Mc

/ FEL - Class I vs Class II #6  
The 12LA replaces the 7106

The 14LA when it comes out replaces the 7308.

That is why the 7308 shows more lift than the 12LA as it is not apples to apples. The 7308 will not have the lift capacity the 14LA has.

The 12LA has more lift capacity than the 7106 it replaced.

Some of this is assumptions only.

murph

OK, I misread that table (it's not real clear). I assumed the number in front of the dash was the bucket capacity and the number after the dash was the pivot point capacity. So, I was reading the 7308 as 875 lbs in the bucket and 1020 lbs at the pivot point, then comparing that to 1090 lbs at the pivot point for the 12LA. Apparently, they are saying that the 7308 bucket capacity (which includes the weight of the bucket) ranges from 875 lbs to 1020 lbs, depending on what tractor it's installed on. So, we can't compare apples to apples using that table because they don't show the bucket capacity of the 12LA and they don't show the pivot point capacity of the 7308.

I found another table in a NH Boomer brochure. It shows the 12LA lift capacity to be 750 lbs and the 7308 lift capacity to be 875 lbs. The table doesn't specify where this is measured, but based on the numbers in the table on their web site it's pretty safe to assume they mean the bucket lift capacity for both (which includes the weight of the bucket). So, the 7308 is able to lift more than the 12LA. If it's on a Class II Boomer (or a TC30), it's only 125 lbs more. It's capable of lifting much more if it's on a different tractor (not sure which ones). Spencer200 says it's the front axle on the Class II Boomers that can't take the extra weight and it is going to be beefed up on the TC33DA for the 14LA.

This information is going to be very helpful when I meet with my New Holland dealer and the Bush Hog sales rep this afternoon (When is rear ballast needed with a FEL?). Bush Hog may have beefed the frame up substantially, but the front axle is still the weak point, so the M246 does not belong on a TC29D.

Thanks for all the help on this!

/ FEL - Class I vs Class II #8  
Murph-

I'm well aware of what loader replaces what for the NH compacts. I did a LOT of research when I bought my TC33D a couple of years ago. I ended up putting on a Woods 1012 loader instead of the 7308 and have been very happy with it. It's got larger lift capacity and greater dump and rollback angles than the NH 7308. I've continued to follow NH's offerings for loaders on their Class II compacts since I bought mine.

Back when I bought the Woods 1012, NH was advertising 800# lift and 1600# breakout when installed on a TC29/TC33 (I still have the old brochure with those numbers). This just wouldn't cut it for me, but I liked everything else about the machine & my NH dealer. The Woods advertises 1200# lift and 2000# breakout for the loader, but these numbers are downrated a bit when installed on a TC29/TC33 (I believe the lift is stated at 1100 or 1150#, but I don't have these numbers handy).

Since I bought my tractor, NH came out with a new brochure which lists the loader capacity (installed on the TC29D/33D) as 875#, and the breakout as 2344#. So the breakout force now edges out the Woods loader, but the lift is still lower on the 7308.

I've been following the development of the 14LA closely. It just doesn't make sense for me to switch to it, since the Woods loader I already have is working fine. However, I have had several people ask me about my installation and how I like it. If they have a need for the extra lift, dump and rollback, I've been recommending the Woods loader. However, if the specs on the 14LA are anything like those of the other LA models, I will probably be recommending that in the future. The info that it will fit the older class II NH CUTs is news to me. I'd been hearing that they would not fit. I'll be interested to see if they downrate the lift capacity for installation on the older models, or if it stays the same.

John Mc

Murph -

We must have been typing at the same time. So, based on what you just said, I'm assuming your using your Woods 1012 at it's rated capacity and have never had any trouble with the tractor not being able to handle the weight. That's what I meant when I said (on another post somewhere) that NH has been very conservative with the 7308 FEL capacity on a TC25/29/30/33 and they could easily have bumped it up a couple hundred pounds. But, I do not think that a TC25/29/30/33 can handle the over 1500 lbs rating of the Bush Hog M246.

By the way, did you say you were going to try to post some pictures of yours showing the mounting brackets, joystick, etc? Does your manual or anything state the weight of the loader and mounting brackets?

/ FEL - Class I vs Class II #10  
Mosey,

My reply was more to all of the above posts and not necessarily to yours. In some of the posts above there was comparisons for the 12LA and the 7308 Loaders. I just wanted to make sure everyone knew they weren't comparing apples to apples. You just happen to be the last post so you got the reply. Hope there was no harm done.

murph