1910 pto jumping out if gear

/ 1910 pto jumping out if gear #1  

Rabduck03

Tractor
Farmtrac 45, Ford 5610, Farmall Cub, Farmall C, Ferguson TO30
My 1910 pto keeps jumping out of gear under a heavy load. Originally I noticed the control lever had been bent by the previous owner so I gently straightened it out and it helped. Any ideas on other possible causes?

/ 1910 pto jumping out if gear #2  
Do you feel the detent engage properly in both positions? If so, the external linkage is doing it's job. Does the lever pop back to the disengaged position when this happens? If so, you most likely have some damaged teeth on the drive gears involved. This is a sliding gear type unit, and if the PTO is shifted into gear before the clutch release process has time for gears and shafts to come to a stop, the gear tooth damage can build over time and eventually cause the condition you describe. If the gears are the problem, you will have to remove the lift housing to access the gears and shifting mechanism, I believe.

/ 1910 pto jumping out if gear #3  
Hi . This is a common problem with lots of old Fords . The easiest fix is to tie it back with a strong bungie cord which helps hold the gears in place but also allows you to disengage it quickly for safety reasons .