Boomer 3040 PTO Slipping???

/ Boomer 3040 PTO Slipping??? #1  

BRB Hand

Tractor
New Holland 3040 used, Ford 16YT overused
I have a new (70 hours) 3040. Today was the first time I have tried the PTO. I tried to run a 5 foot KK tiller and it did not go well at all. Things worked fine in soft soil but when I hit harder soil the tiller stopped. It was NOT the slip clutch, it was the PTO itself that stopped; with no change in the engine might I add. Am I missing something? Is there an adjustment? THe manual does not elaborate on PTO usage. I had to use my old Massey to finish tilling but I am worried about my new tractor. Anyone have an idea?

/ Boomer 3040 PTO Slipping??? #2  
For some reason, your PTO clutch is not engaging enough. It should be tight enough to kill the engine. Perhaps your lever is bent or the actuating arm is out of position so that you are not getting full engagement. Either way, you need to get the dealer to look at it. If a clutch slips for very long, it will wear out and NEVER be right without being replaced.

BTW: As you engage the PTO, you allow hydraulic pressure to release the brake and engage the clutch. .8 gallons per minute is diverted from your main hydraulic flow to operate the PTO clutch/brake.

/ Boomer 3040 PTO Slipping??? #3  
Any codes show up in the ADIC? Did you try to dis/re-engage the PTO? On my unit if I get off the tractor with the PTO engaged, the tractor will quit & the PTO will automatically disengage. If I restart the tractor, the PTO light on the dash will stay on but the PTO will not spin until it is reset. I have caught myself a couple of times, rising off the seat enough to cause the tractor to "cough" and the PTO will stop.

/ Boomer 3040 PTO Slipping???
THanks for the advice everyone I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow. I was hopeful that it was a linkage problem but no. THe linkage looks like the turn buckle was welded at a specific spot from the factory. It is the same style as the other linkages but no longer adjustable.

I spoke to 2 dealers, neither of whom had a clue what might be causing the problem. I will report any progress . Thanks again for the advice.

As a side note I was suprised that both dealers would not let me schedule an appointment to bring it in. They each took a first come first serve stance that leaves me tractorless for at least 2 weeks! I understand that they are busy but why not schedule me later???

I am sure I will need my tractor more often than normal while it is gone.

/ Boomer 3040 PTO Slipping???
Ok sorry for the slow update but it seemed even slower without my tractor. The problem was the pto clutch itself was burned up. Curious since I hadnt used the pto at all. As it turns out the PTO valve was bad causing the PTO to be engaged at all times. THe clutch, PTO valve, and Pump were all replaced (under warranty). The pump was cracked and leaking; Im not sure why/how. Also I dont fully undertand how the PTO running for 50 hours under ZERO load would burn out the clutch but so be it that is the explanation I was given.

On a seperate note when I picked up my tractor (after Hours on a Friday) the PTO cover was missing, the tractor had been (poorly) power washed splattering grease all over, and the arrow pedals were both abrased somthing fierce. During the Grease spattering wash the hood and loader decals were ripped and I also found a ground wire that was not tightened. The dealer has promised to come to my house and fix it all; we shall see. I am very frustrated and am beginning to think there is not a dealer who wants to please their customers, or at least me.

/ Boomer 3040 PTO Slipping??? #6  
I'm really sorry for all your hassle. That is indeed an unusual problem with the PTO valve and clutch. It must have been that the PTO valve was leaking just enough to partially engage the clutch so it slipped all the time instead of being fully engaged. Excessive slippage is what burns them up. As you said, you should be able to run that PTO fully engaged for as long as you want and never worry about it. If it were mine, I'd be testing the PTO with a rotary cutter to make sure it is operating satisfactorily. In light of the way they took care of the cosmetics, I'd be suspicious until I proved the PTO to my own satisfaction. Just an ounce of prevention. . . .

I'm also sorry that your tractor was treated so badly by the dealer. Those things you mention are unexcusable in my estimation. It is a tractor, but they went way overboard with careless damage. I hope you get all those issues resolved.:thumbsup: