Tractor
    1502 ford

Default 1502 ford drops a cylinder when i blow air on injector pump

i have a 1502 diesel that seems to run good but does leak diesel from the injector pump, but when i go to blow off the diesel to see where it is leaking from the engine sounds like it drops a cylinder and then usaully dies?? any ideas??

Tractor
    1700 4wheel drive

Default Re: 1502 ford drops a cylinder when i blow air on injector pump

Is it leaking before the pump? Sucking air, if it is leaking enough by gravity and you remove the fluid it may suck air into the line.

Tractor
    1502 ford

the fuel is coming out of the injector pump under the "injector" (not sure what they are i call them injectors but they are on the pump) i went to blow the fuel off so i could see where it is coming from and when i hit the front injector the tractor drops a cylinder and then dies..

Tractor
    1700 4wheel drive

OK You have a fuel line going into the pump and a line coming out going to each cylinder and at the end of the line is the injector screwed into the head. From your description it sounds like you are talking about the lines exiting the pump. Leaking there means you are not getting full fuel volume to the injector. I don't see how air can affect the engine at that point. The fuel should have a higher pressure than the air hose. To find the leak clean the pump with soap and water and dry it off. Turn over the engine, to pump fuel, just enough to find the wet spot. Some have used talcum powder to help seeing the leak.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    MF 85 diesel

If pump is seeping fuel at delivery valve holders and/or body flange O rings you are getting air into fuel gallery past leaking seals with your blowgun. It will miss or even die depending on how much air gets in. If pump is aluminum body Zexel I may have tools and seals to repair leaks, but need to know what pump you have.

Tractor
    1502 ford

well tried to fix it but it didnt go so well. had to drop it off at a place that rebuilds these things to get it put back together.. pretty embarassed but at least it will be fixed. the guy figured it was one of the brass rings that are leaking. i was looking for the two rubber o-rings on the bottom but they didnt put them in until 90 and mine is an 88, shold have read the parts schematic a little better i guess!! oh well that is a lesson learned i guess.. thanks for the replies though this is just way over my head!