Bad alternator Ford 1300

/ Bad alternator Ford 1300 #1  

jvigier

Tractor
Ford 1300
Alternator's shot. Tried looking for a replacement and so far bubkus.

Other than a remaned for $225

Is that really my best bet?

If so, forget it, going to raid local auto parts stores for a 20A alternator...and fabricate and weld a bracket for it.

/ Bad alternator Ford 1300 #2  
Not sure what 20A you are looking at but the 37-63A 10si delco is a good choice. Get a plug too.

DS

/ Bad alternator Ford 1300
Could the battery have cooked the alternator?

I just realized that the previous owner had used a 600 cranking amp battery.

Isn't the rule of thumb to have your alternator put out roughly 1/4 of the battery's amperage?

Maybe I am getting my wires crossed...ha...wires crossed...hillarious.:laughing:

/ Bad alternator Ford 1300 #4  
Rule of thumb is alt to put out 1/4 more Amps than the electrical demand amps.

My old JD crawler came with a 22a alt and 2000 cca battery's ( 2 x 1000) no lights, 1 cig lighter.

A bad battery, if bad the right way could have killed the alt.
Many of those have a magnet alt, if the bearings are good check the rectifier regulator, wiring, fuses ect.

DS

/ Bad alternator Ford 1300 #5  
Most modern alternators have over current protection. However a large battery that is discharged will over tax that protection.

The best way to test your alternator on your tractor is to measure the voltage on the alternator. The voltage should be between 13.8V – 14.5V. You should measure the voltage at the alternator first and then the battery. If the battery voltage is significantly less than the alternator volts then it is wiring related.

If the voltage is low on the alternator your next test is to see if there is a field present on the rotor. A simple test is to put a screw driver blade against the rear bearing of the alternator. If the blade sticks there is a field present. Turning the lights on should intensify this field.

Mike

Last edited:
   / Bad alternator Ford 1300
Not so sure the alt is dead. Just for giggles, I jump started it and let it run with the battery disconnected for just enough time to get a steady reading of 12.7 volt output from the alt.

Last edited:
   / Bad alternator Ford 1300 #7  
What is the voltage on the alt. at 1500rpm and with the lights on?

Mike