Ford 1900 help

/ Ford 1900 help #1  

Brmosh

Tractor
Ford 1900
Hi- I'm new to the forum.

I bought a ford 1900 4x4 and the clutch is stuck. Does anyone know if this model as a site hole by the clutch assemble to look through. My tractor has a loader on it. And will need to take the loader frame off to see if it does. Also could I get a tool in there to move the throw out bearing if it is stuck? I want to try everything I can before I try to splt the tractor.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

/ Ford 1900 help #3  
You can cut a 2x4 to hold the clutch peddle down all the way and let it set over night.
If you are ADVENTUROUS, by pas the safety switch and crank it in a higher gear and drive it wile hitting the brakes to break it loose.

DS

/ Ford 1900 help #4  
My 1700 has an inspection port on the right hand side of the bellhousing. It is partly blocked by the loader frame upright. It has a rubber seal that covers the port. I learned doing my clutch that the steering column, once removed, gives a pretty good line of sight down into the bellhousing.

Others have given good tips about breaking free a stuck clutch. My personal favorite is to use a rototiller, if you have one. I start the tractor and let it warm up a bit, so it will start easily, then move it to a suitable area. Then, I put everything in gear, including the PTO drive, with the engine off and the implement raised, with the tractor in the lowest gear possible, facing downhill if I can, to minimize the stress on the starter. Start the machine, then lower the tiller into the ground slowly while keeping the clutch pedal depressed.

The clutch has always immediately popped loose. I am sure that using box blade or disk, or chaining to a fixed or very resistant load would work too, but it can be harder to do slowly and in as controlled a fashion as with the tiller. As long as the clutch is pressed in and the engine labors against the clutch, it should pop free. If you can do that with brakes, a load on the PTO, pulling something, or whatever, it should all perform as desired.

Russell and JC-Jetro were instrumental to helping me get my 1700 up and operational. They know of what they speak; they are also patient, kind, and generous with their knowledge. Thank you again, guys.

/ Ford 1900 help #5  
Hi- I'm new to the forum.

I bought a ford 1900 4x4 and the clutch is stuck. Does anyone know if this model as a site hole by the clutch assemble to look through. My tractor has a loader on it. And will need to take the loader frame off to see if it does. Also could I get a tool in there to move the throw out bearing if it is stuck? I want to try everything I can before I try to splt the tractor.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Howdy and welcome to TBN Blue:)

The likelihood of release bearing to bearing holder or pressure plate is very unlikely. Even if you lost the spring then the pedal would be very soft and noticeable. Release bearing can touch (ride) on the fingers on the pressure plate and that leads to less pressure on clutch disk and pressure plate causing slippage. I have two pics below, 1st is Russel's repair that he shows release bearing with steering removed and the second one picture that I took from the inspection hole. Removing the inspection hole rubber cover and you can easily see if the release bearing touching fingers or not. Have one person press the clutch as you observe and you can even see the gap caused between clutch disk and flywheel. Of course I'm talking about 1700 and single clutch. 1900 also come with live dual clutch system that you will not be able to see clutch disk as easyily. Follow the instruction on Russel's link or 284 International (thanks:)). Report back with and we'll try to help.

JC,

IMG_0162.jpg

DSC02678.jpg

Last edited:
   / Ford 1900 help #6  
On the 1900 the inspection cover s on the left side. Mine has an Westendorf loader and the cover is behind the loader mount. The 1900 has a dual clutch. One clutch disc for the pto and one for the transmission. There are separate adjustments for each. Does the pto work properly. I would hook up a ground engaging implement, start the tractor in gear, bring the rpm's up in 1st gear and drop the implement into the ground. I don't like to hook up to any thing immovable. You can tear something up before it breaks loose. I hope you bought it right because parts are not cheap and used parts are almost nonexistent. These are great tractors that seldom fail. If the previous owner took descent care of it it should last a long time.
Bill