What sort of beast?

/ What sort of beast? #1  

mgarbo

Tractor
2120 New Holland
Just wondering if anyone can tell me what type of tractor i actually have. The signage on the hood says ford 2120, yet it also says its a new holland. I found a tag on the transmission side stating that it is a new holland, model AV431P, with a serial number of UV30079. I can not find that info on TractorData.com so I have no ideal how old this tractor is or what service manual to buy for it. Any ideas out there. Yes, this is all brand new to me. Thanks for the help!

/ What sort of beast? #2  
Do you have a photo to post? Does it look and have the same description as the 2120 on Tractor data?

/ What sort of beast?
2120 is stamped on the tractor frame, so I guess that is what it is. Just wondering on the year of manufacture. It had been working fine, though most of the time you would have to jiggle the PTO lever in the disengaged indent for it to start. Now even the dash lights won't come on and she is dead in the water. I just bought a new battery two weeks ago. Bush hogged a couple of fields with it and it ran fine. Then yesterday bogged the motor while pulling some brush and she died. Checked the battery connections, the three fuses on the firewall, starter connections. It might be the PTO safety switch but I tried jumping that out. At least I think they were the wires. The only ones coming out by the pTO lever. Hmmm.

/ What sort of beast? #4  
Did you check the charging system? SInce a fresh battery had temporarily solved your problem maybe your alternator is not working for some reason, so you are running purely off the battery. If that is the case then without being recharged the battery will be depleted after a number of starts. Instrumentation (guages, idiot lights, etc.) will put a low current drag on the battery too when rinning.

/ What sort of beast?
yes, the battery did get her running, but I still had to play with the PTO safety switch to get it to turn over. I will pull the battery and give it a charge just to check it though it does show 12 volts across the posts. So it seems I should at least get the dash lights to come on. I think I will need to get it running to check the alternator anyway, since the only way I can remember to test that is to pull one of the cables off the battery while she is running to see if the lights go dim or she stalls out. Thanks. I will check the battery.

/ What sort of beast?
Thanks for the link on the tractor data. I tried to access it but it tells me the "account is unavailable". Not sure what that means but I will try it again later. Maybe the server is temporarely down.

/ What sort of beast? #8  
yes, the battery did get her running, but I still had to play with the PTO safety switch to get it to turn over. I will pull the battery and give it a charge just to check it though it does show 12 volts across the posts. So it seems I should at least get the dash lights to come on. I think I will need to get it running to check the alternator anyway, since the only way I can remember to test that is to pull one of the cables off the battery while she is running to see if the lights go dim or she stalls out. Thanks. I will check the battery.

An easy way to check the alternator would be to connect a volt meter across the battery. Before starting it should read around 12.6 VDC. When you start the engine the alternator should boost the voltage ending up around 14.2 VDC after several minutes.:thumbsup:

/ What sort of beast? #9  
Thanks for the link on the tractor data. I tried to access it but it tells me the "account is unavailable". Not sure what that means but I will try it again later. Maybe the server is temporarely down.

I can't log onto tractordata now either. Same message you got. I searched for the 2120 to get the data. It didn't show up in the main list. Hope it starts to work soon.

/ What sort of beast?
Okay, Thanks. I will try that. I finally received a copy of the service manual I bought off of ebay. So, from that I have at least three things to try. The PTO and neutral safety switch, which are wired in series to the relay on the firewall. Saturday sounds like a good day to dig into all that. Thanks you so much for your guidance. I will let you know what I find.