Ford 4000 SU starter issues

/ Ford 4000 SU starter issues #1  

hayisforhorses

Tractor
Ford 4000 SU
I have a 1975 (as I interpret from below stats, please tell me if I'm wrong) Ford 4000 SU, 8 speed, 3 cylinder, gasoline. Started it for the first time this year, started right up, ran for 10 minutes or so. Turned it off to prep the bush hog. Then it wouldn't start (or even try to start). 2 people checked it out for me and said it was the starter. Neighbor took the starter off for me. Is it better to rebuild or go new? Any suggestions on what would be a fair price for either rebuild or new? I also read in the brochure/manual (from 1975) that the electric starter has a safety switch. Could this be the issue, or just a bad starter? Thanks!

Tractor # C461303
Model # D1424C
Engine # 5B04B
Unit # 5E02B

/ Ford 4000 SU starter issues #2  
there is a neutral safety swith in that twin stick tranny. range selector needs to be in neutral. if not, no power to 'energize' the solenoid.

did your neighbor actually test the starter before snatching it out. IE.. jumping acoss solenoid?

you can test it with jump cables and a battery.

if it's bad.. I'd opt for a rebuild first.. though get a price on a repop one. still think I'd go fro a rebuild unles sit's totally garbage..

ns swtch is the lil 2 wires that enter the trans top thru the rubber grommet. literally power in and out to solenoid trigger terminal.. goes thru a switch in trans.

you can unplug and jumper across tractor side to bypass for testing.. or push a stick pin thru both wires.. etc. if switch bad.. pull trans top to replace...

/ Ford 4000 SU starter issues #3  
you can test it with jump cables and a battery.

If you're gonna bench test it and have never done this before then be prepared as the starter will 'jump' when you make that last connection with the jumper cable. There's a lot of reactionary torque developed in a motor like this and when its not bolted down (as when installed) it WILL be twisting and turning like a bucking bronco. When it rolls off the bench onto your foot you'll be wiser but hurting.