617 disc mower

/ 617 disc mower #1  

gc1014

Tractor
185 AC
Have a NH 617 disc mower that mowed about 10 feet and all discs quit rotating. Belts are intact and driving gearbox. Individual discs turn when moved by hand. Mower made no noise, just quit. Drive module was found with no oil level. Did something shear? Any help appreciated.

/ 617 disc mower #2  
What do you mean by "drive module was found with no oil level"? Are you referring to the module directly below the gearbox, and do you mean you found that it contained no oil? When you rotate the blade units by hand, do all of them rotate, or just some of them? Does the gearbox have oil to the level plug? If the drive module itself has run low enough on oil, it may have failed a bearing and allowed the pinion gear to move away from the drive gear from the gearbox. I just went through the gearbox on a 617 a few weeks ago. This problem was within the gearbox but the module below was OK. If your problem is in the module, and the gear from the gearbox is undamaged, it will be far less work and expense.

/ 617 disc mower
Yes, I mean the module directly below the gearbox. It contained no oil level when I removed the lower plug. All of the units rotate when turned by hand.

/ 617 disc mower #4  
These things are a bit awkward to work on, but this repair is rather straight forward. Raise the unit up to the transport position to relieve tension on the assist spring and disconnect the spring. Let the unit back down to the ground, and remove the six bolts securing the gearbox to the drive module. When you raise the three point the cutter bar will remain on the floor with the drive module exposed.

/ 617 disc mower #6  
also check the bottom gear and shaft in the main gear box my 616 did the same thing last year and the problem was the bearings in the lower module went out and when it did it also knocked the lower bearing out the bottom gear in the gear box

/ 617 disc mower #7  
What do you mean by "drive module was found with no oil level"? Are you referring to the module directly below the gearbox, and do you mean you found that it contained no oil? When you rotate the blade units by hand, do all of them rotate, or just some of them? Does the gearbox have oil to the level plug? If the drive module itself has run low enough on oil, it may have failed a bearing and allowed the pinion gear to move away from the drive gear from the gearbox. I just went through the gearbox on a 617 a few weeks ago. This problem was within the gearbox but the module below was OK. If your problem is in the module, and the gear from the gearbox is undamaged, it will be far less work and expense.

this is hay man down in texas i have the same problem the disc turn freely and the gearbox and belts turn i took the gearbox up from the cutterbar and the shaft with the gear on it will not engage the disc it just kinda barley touches the gear that turns the disc whats my issue?