Changing Hydraulic Filters

/ Changing Hydraulic Filters #1  

Mrwurm

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower
Ok, my dealer is shipping out the two hydraulic filters that I need to change for my 50 hr service. The service schedule does not call for changing the fluid, only the filters. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif So, how am I supposed to change the filters without gallons of hydraulic fluid leaking out during the process ? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Changing Hydraulic Filters #2  
I don't know how the TC30 is plumbed, but I lost about a quart plus what was in the filters when I did mine. If you can, fill the filter with fresh fluid before you screw it on. Keeps air to a minimum in the system. I bought a gallon of hydro-fluid and still have some left.

/ Changing Hydraulic Filters #3  
<font color="blue"> The service schedule does not call for changing the fluid, only the filters. </font>
Interesting, my dealer changed the filters and the fluid during the 50 hour service on my TC25D. I don't have my Owner's Manual handy, but I could have sworn that it says the fluid gets changed, too.

/ Changing Hydraulic Filters #4  
Dunno......

I had my dealer do the 50 hour service plus change the fluid before I bought the thing (had 34 hours) just to be sure/peace of mind.

I just looked at my owner's manual (TC40D) and it says just the filters (HST filter and hydraulic filter). Fluid isnt mentioned until 300 hours. Weird....

Mark

/ Changing Hydraulic Filters
I did'nt check my manual /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
My dealer told me what was required for 50hr service. I'm sure he will be kicking himself if he realizes he missed the sale of new hydraulic fluid /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

/ Changing Hydraulic Filters #6  
I had my dealer do the 50 hour; the manual on my TC18 doesn't call for hydr. fluid change, and he didn't do it. Since then, I've done the "every 50 hours" check myself @ 100 hours, and am heading for the "every 100 hours" with the oil and filter change @ 150 total hours (I turned 130 this past weekend, not bad for just over 2 months). I've been using it pretty hard, so I'll push the 300 (with the hydr. fluid change) up to 250 hours, then stay on schedule after that, because I expect the hard use to slacken off a bit as we get projects done. We ripped up a portion of an ashpalt driveway on my daughter's property this weekend, because they are reconfiguring for a circular drive.

/ Changing Hydraulic Filters #7  
1ST hydraulic filter change on my TC25D I almost freeked out while removing the underside (larger filter). I think it was less than couple quarts that needed to be replaced.

/ Changing Hydraulic Filters #8  
Well, so much for my memory /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif, while the dealer did replace all the hyd fluid, as well as the 2 hyd filters, at 50 hours (he also did the other std 50 hour service), the Owner's Manual does not call for this.

/ Changing Hydraulic Filters
Maybe, your dealer changed the fluid because its too difficult to change the filters and not have a big mess?

/ Changing Hydraulic Filters #10  
<font color="blue">Maybe, your dealer changed the fluid because its too difficult to change the filters and not have a big mess? </font>
That might be it, particularly since the technician performed the 50 hour service, plus some other items, in my driveway. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Actually, I recall (sure, trust my memory again) asking the tech about it and he said they always change all the fluids at 50 hours. They figure that since the goal is to get all the manufacturing debris out of the systems, replacing the fluids, in addition to the filters, makes sense.