1710 4 wheel drive shifter issue

/ 1710 4 wheel drive shifter issue #1  

couger94

Tractor
Ford 1710
Hi everyone, I am a newbie to this site and to tractors in general. I bought a 1986 ford 1710 4x4 diesel. It has around 700 hours and a loader. It is in fantastic shape. The problem, I have only been able to shift it into 4 wheel drive once. I am pulling till my shoulder is about to pop out and it only has gone in once. Has anyone ever run into this problem and where should I start to diagnose it. I thought about removing the lever (plate on top of the tractor that it runs through) to see if there was a problem. I have tried to creep it and I am keeping the RPM's low. PLEASE HELP I am paranoid that I just threw my money in the fireplace.

Jim

/ 1710 4 wheel drive shifter issue #2  
Hi everyone, I am a newbie to this site and to tractors in general. I bought a 1986 ford 1710 4x4 diesel. It has around 700 hours and a loader. It is in fantastic shape. The problem, I have only been able to shift it into 4 wheel drive once. I am pulling till my shoulder is about to pop out and it only has gone in once. Has anyone ever run into this problem and where should I start to diagnose it. I thought about removing the lever (plate on top of the tractor that it runs through) to see if there was a problem. I have tried to creep it and I am keeping the RPM's low. PLEASE HELP I am paranoid that I just threw my money in the fireplace.

Jim

Jim,

You should not be forcing it as it might cause more problem. Look the PDF attachment below. Look at items 15,16,and 17 that make your shift fork mechanism. # 17 is your detent ball that keep the the 4wd from jumping out . Remove the cover slowly and carefully and check condition of the detent ball and spring. I bet ya that's where your problem lies. Ball out of round, broken spring and things like that. I had the same issue with my gear shifter that pretty much used the same mechanism. I do not 4wd on my 1700 though.

JC,

Attachments

• 1710- 4wd diagram.pdf
    101.3 KB · Views: 598
   / 1710 4 wheel drive shifter issue #3  
Another solution might be to shift while rolling and clutch depressed. Make gear alignment easier.

Russell

/ 1710 4 wheel drive shifter issue
Hi, thanks for the input. Jones I have tried that to no avail. JC I can't thank you enough but if I could ask another question and I again apologize if it is a dumb one. How willi know if it is the ball out of round or a bad fork? Is the fork viewable once the cover is off?