ford 6610 injection pump/timing issues

/ ford 6610 injection pump/timing issues #1  

vanmedic

Tractor
86 ford 6610 & case D33
Guy's i need help!! I have a ford 6610 just had the injection pump rebuilt,timing setting shows to be 27 deg before TDC,the pump rebuilder assured me the pump has been timed correct,after replacing the pump and bleeding lines was able to get running but extremly rich ''ie'' popping & smoking and very difficult to crank,Ihave bled the system repeatedly and the pump is getting plenty of fuel to the injectors.I have been told it must be 180deg out of time,when i set the flywheel mark at 27deg how do i know that it is the #1 cyl that is top TDC nd not #2 ? or is this even a valid question ? also I retaing plate on the pump had not been tightend down ''ie'' forgot to prior to putting the cover back on.would this be the problem? the gears look fine does not look to have jumped the timing gear.I have not tightned the plate and tried again as i dont know if this could even be the problem.I need some advice here.The pump came back with marks lined up the same as it left when carried to the rebuild shop.Any help would be greatly appritiated.

/ ford 6610 injection pump/timing issues #2  
You must time the pump on the compression stroke and since this is a 4 stroke engine it fires every other rev. That means that the flywheel or crankshaft will pass throught the timing point twice for every cycle of the engine, once on the compression stroke and once on the exhaust stroke.

There are two ways to find the compression stroke; feeling the pressure through the injector port or looking at the position of the valves. The first one is really easy except you have to remove the #1 injector from the head. The second one requires that you remove the valve cover and get the #1 valves to the point they are both closed. Once you find the compression stroke, you then rotate the engine via a wrench on the crankshaft bolt to the timing point (27°BTDC) and then install the pump per the installation proceedures.
The pump must be rotated so that the #1 injector is ready to start injecting and installed per the manual. I've never done a pump install so i can't be more helpfu; then this. Maybe dieseltech will catch this and offer some advice.

/ ford 6610 injection pump/timing issues
This is helpfull sir thank you,I have been told it will not fire at all if its 180deg off,so i guess i must be correct on the compression stroke as it will fire up withsome work,Flywheel is set is set at 27deg .the bolts being loose on the retainer plate may be my problem as i have been told this can cause the pump to jump time.I will get an opportunity in the AM to see if ith timing marks on the pump are still lined up and if i can see them as i understand i should after removing the pump/oil cover.all advise is helpful and lets me understand the beast a little better.Adam