Mowing Haybine 472 Conditioner Roller Damage

/ Haybine 472 Conditioner Roller Damage #1  

3600Paul

Tractor
Kubota L3600
Hello all,

I have a question about the operation of a NH Haybine 472.

While cutting today the rubber roller lugs on the bottom roller started to peel off, exposing about 1 foot of the steel cylinder. Prior to operation the upper and lower roller lugs seemed to be properly interleaved and the mo-co worked fine. Also the mo-co was just checked over by a new holland mechanic at a local dealer.

I would like to finish the cutting without delay. The rollers are very expensive and will probably take a long time to have repaired. My question is: Can I disengage the rollers by removing the drive chains and just use the 472 as a cutter. I would then make a pass with a rake to form windrows.

Thanks for you thoughts,
Paul

Last edited:
   / Haybine 472 Conditioner Roller Damage #2  
Paul,

You likely should not remove the conditioner as the hay will take longer to dry down.

Did you recently change the conditioner rolls in your machine? If so, you may want to ask the dealer to investigate the cause as there may be an issue with the manufacturing process on the rolls.

Good Luck!

YC

/ Haybine 472 Conditioner Roller Damage #3  
Sorry to disappoint you, but it wont work with the rollers disconnected or at least ours didn't when our chain got too loose to use.

Aaron Z

/ Haybine 472 Conditioner Roller Damage #4  
Get some good rubber glue and fasten the remaining rubber to the hub so you can finish. Then as you get time get some rollers to replace your old ones. All cuts on rubber rolls should be sealed as they let water in and in our area they will freeze and force more rubber off.

/ Haybine 472 Conditioner Roller Damage
Thank you for the advice. The mower is old and I suspect the rollers are original. I removed the damaged rubber from the one roller, leaving a clean steel cylinder. I did not remove the chain that drives the rollers. The mower now just cuts and does not condition. The hay still shoots between the rollers but is not conditioned. This is ok for this season. The cost of rollers is $1000.00 plus.