Ford 4610 S/N Conundrum

/ Ford 4610 S/N Conundrum #1  

wjb-49

Silver Member
Tractor
LS MT573-CPS, Ford 4610
I bought a Ford 4610 last week and am having trouble locating the serial number. The tractor has been repainted and the ID plate on the inside of the hood is missing. Per TractorData.com and a local New Holland dealer the number should be stamped on the front right transmission cover. Below is the diagram sent by the dealer showing where the s/n should be stamped.

4610.jpg

No number is stamped in this area, it is perfectly smooth. The following numbers are stamped in the corresponding area on the opposite (clutch) side: 9E11B and CB70K22. The last series of numbers is lightly stamped and hard to read - I may have not read them correctly. I told the dealer about the numbers I found and he said there should be no numbers in that location. In another thread, RickB said:

The serial number, model ID and unit code are hand stamped in the clutch housing on the horizontal surface directly behind the starter . . .
If the numbers I found are the s/n, it seems that the dealer and TractorData are wrong RickB is correct!

Any suggestions where I can find the s/n for this tractor?

/ Ford 4610 S/N Conundrum #2  
I bought a Ford 4610 last week and am having trouble locating the serial number. The tractor has been repainted and the ID plate on the inside of the hood is missing. Per TractorData.com and a local New Holland dealer the number should be stamped on the front right transmission cover. Below is the diagram sent by the dealer showing where the s/n should be stamped.

No number is stamped in this area, it is perfectly smooth. The following numbers are stamped in the corresponding area on the opposite (clutch) side: 9E11B and CB70K22. The last series of numbers is lightly stamped and hard to read - I may have not read them correctly. I told the dealer about the numbers I found and he said there should be no numbers in that location. In another thread, RickB said:

If the numbers I found are the s/n, it seems that the dealer and TractorData are wrong RickB is correct!

Any suggestions where I can find the s/n for this tractor?

I'd hardly say that my post is in conflict with tractordata or your local dealer. We all said the same thing; your findings are contrary. If the data plate is gone and there is no serial number stamped along with the unit code and model designation you posted, you aren't likely to come up with a verifiable serial number.

/ Ford 4610 S/N Conundrum
RickB, My comment regarding your post was intended as a compliment, in that you appeared to be correct regarding the location of the s/n, etc. On my tractor "9E11B" (does this translate to September 11, 1989, day shift?) is stamped above "CB70K22". Where would the s/n be stamped in relation to these numbers? I will look again and see if I can find more numbers.

On a non - related subject, assuming this tractor was manufactured in 1989, I have looked online for a shop manual and all the manuals I've found are for 4610s prior to 1984. Do you know if post - 1984 4610 manuals are available?

Thanks for your assistance.

/ Ford 4610 S/N Conundrum #4  
RickB, My comment regarding your post was intended as a compliment, in that you appeared to be correct regarding the location of the s/n, etc. On my tractor "9E11B" (does this translate to September 11, 1989, day shift?) is stamped above "CB70K22". Where would the s/n be stamped in relation to these numbers? I will look again and see if I can find more numbers.

On a non - related subject, assuming this tractor was manufactured in 1989, I have looked online for a shop manual and all the manuals I've found are for 4610s prior to 1984. Do you know if post - 1984 4610 manuals are available?

Thanks for your assistance.

I understand and appreciate your intent, but the starter is still on the RH side opposite the clutch pedal and it is generally expected that the numbers would be found on the right, not the left. Serial number would be hand stamped in the same area as the unit code and model designation. The OEM shop manual for a 4610 would include both series I and series II production as well as 30 series tractors. It is a massive document in 14 sections and 8 or 10 volumes and probably totals between 800 and 1000 pages. I have no idea what the I&T manual covers or contains.

I understand and appreciate your intent, but the starter is still on the RH side opposite the clutch pedal and it is generally expected that the numbers would be found on the right, not the left. Serial number would be hand stamped in the same area as the unit code and model designation. The OEM shop manual for a 4610 would include both series I and series II production as well as 30 series tractors. It is a massive document in 14 sections and 8 or 10 volumes and probably totals between 800 and 1000 pages. I have no idea what the I&T manual covers or contains.

Well . . . when I make a mistake I will be the first to admit it! When you stated the s/n is located directly behind the starter, I was for some reason thinking behind the ignition switch, on the left side. I think my mistake came about because I found the numbers noted earlier on the left side and thought they were the ones I was looking for. My apology for this mistake. I will look again tomorrow on the right side. Do you think the unit code I found is correct? My primary concern is locating the correct manufacture date.

/ Ford 4610 S/N Conundrum #6  
I am not a expert but it seems i read something about the numbers on the left side when there had to do with the transmission itself?

Perhaps when rebuilt or replaced?

It sounds familiar for some reason.

DS

I am not a expert but it seems i read something about the numbers on the left side when there had to do with the transmission itself?

Perhaps when rebuilt or replaced?

It sounds familiar for some reason.

DS

Thanks for the input! What your are saying makes sense. I went out today in 100 deg. heat and looked again at the right side, where the numbers are supposed to be, and could not find any stampings or markings. I'm going to call the used equipment dealer that I bought this machine from and ask if he has the name or phone number of the original owner. The original owner, who lives near by, may have a record of the s/n. I am wondering if this is a common problem??

-Barry

/ Ford 4610 S/N Conundrum #8  
Hummm, A Dealer should have had the serial # on the bill of sales/ Title in some states.

My tractor, I sand blasted the area and engine block numbers ( both spots), What numbers i could see Changed after the blasting. 40 years and many layers of things.
Then repainted the areas.

I was thinking of painting white in the numbers, but what is the point, i have the numbers written down.

Pre 65 were victims of battery acid and numbers could be lost. But i haven't heard of not finding numbers where they were suppose to be though extreme measures have been needed to recover them.

DS