Ford 1920 clutch stuck "big time"

/ Ford 1920 clutch stuck "big time" #1  

double hunter

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 1715
The clutch on my 96 Ford 1920 is stuck big time, been a couple weeks since I used it, I have read some of the old threads and tried driving it in figue 8's, I tried bumping it into a tree in low gear, low range, drug in down the driveway in low gear, sprayed a can of wd-40 on it, I have the clutch tied down now and have sprayed some more wd-40 for an overnight soak, whet else can I try, I have thought about soaking it in PB Blaster, didn't know if this would hurt anything or not, any advice appreciated.

/ Ford 1920 clutch stuck "big time" #2  
The WD-40 was a bad move. Clutches don't like oil. Do you have a field to bush hog or maybe a harrow. If you can hook something up and use the tractor with the clutch depressed it should eventually come loose. You might try to insert a putty knife through the access port and between the clutch/flywheel or clutch/pressure plate, rotate engine and try another spot.

RJ

/ Ford 1920 clutch stuck "big time" #3  
The clutch on my 96 Ford 1920 is stuck big time, been a couple weeks since I used it, I have read some of the old threads and tried driving it in figue 8's, I tried bumping it into a tree in low gear, low range, drug in down the driveway in low gear, sprayed a can of wd-40 on it, I have the clutch tied down now and have sprayed some more wd-40 for an overnight soak, whet else can I try, I have thought about soaking it in PB Blaster, didn't know if this would hurt anything or not, any advice appreciated.

I would not spray it with anything. Leave it blocked/clutch-pedal-depressed for several days, maybe even a week or so. Also, you didn't say whether you did any of the steps with the pedal depressed or not, but each would have been much more effective if the pedal was depressed.

/ Ford 1920 clutch stuck "big time" #4  
I have had fun breaking the steering clutches loose on a crawler.

Hi gear and locking the break, first one then the other with the clutch blocked if you have the room.
A tiller is a good strain on the clutch even in low gear.

But time blocked down is said to help.

Ds

/ Ford 1920 clutch stuck "big time" #5  
I've have had many tractors of the years with clutches and never had on stick after sitting. I think you might have a mechanical issue. I have seen the pressure plates go so the clutch is not being releases. I have also seen some of the clutch friction material break off from the disc and jam between the disk and the pressure plate. Both of these will cause the symptoms you have. You might also have linkage issues. I would caution you not to try too hard to break it free. These are simple disc clutches and should not take much. I would check you linkage first, and maybe adjust your throw. There is usually an access boot on the side of the bell housing. You maybe able to look in there and see what's going on if the loader does not block the access.

/ Ford 1920 clutch stuck "big time" #6  
hi, all i have a ford compact 1920,whilst topping and enjoying myself i forgot about that tree stump and oh yes the pto came to a sudden stop and now it will not work. does anyone have a diagram of the pto set up as im ready to get in there to put the old girl right.