Squealing TC29D

/ Squealing TC29D #1  

Anonymous Poster

I have a TC29D with about 60 hours on it. I used it yesterday to push some snow with a rear blade. It was about 20 degrees, the coldest temperature we've had here in southern Indiana since I bought the tractor. I used it for about 20 minutes and didn't have any trouble. I was pushing snow on a flat concrete surface. The snow was only about 3" deep, so it wasn't much of a load. Next, I wanted to pack the snow down on a hill out back to make it better for the kids to go sleding. So, I put it in FWD and took it out back and drove up a hill that's about a 20 to 25 degree angle. As soon as I started up the hill it started making a loud squealing noise. I backed off on the hydro pedal and it stopped. When I pushed it down again the noise came back and it made the noise all the way up the hill (about 100 ft). At the top of the hill I backed up (no noise) and turned around and went back down. The noise came back going down hill. I took it out of FWD and tried it again and the noise was still there. By this time the tractor had been running for about a half hour and the temp gauge was at the normal operating point. The last time I used it on this hill I was pulling a 6' finish mower and it was about 60 degrees and I didn't have any problems. I took it back to the flat area and it made the noise off and on while driving back on flat ground. I pushed snow for about 10 minutes and it didn't make any noise. I took it back up and down the hill one more time and it made the noise.

I read the post from Marty "My baby is whining" and it seems like the same kind of problem. I called the dealer this morning. It's still under warranty (I bought it this spring), so I'm not touching it myself for fear of voiding the warranty. I'll let y'all know what they find. It's a bit irritating that it's going to be in the shop all next week while I'm on vacation and was planning to be using it a lot!

/ Squealing TC29D #2  
Danny, of course you need to let the dealer handle identifying the problem, but I wonder about where the "pickup" is for the pump to pull hydraulic fluid from the reservoir. Mark Chalkley posted a message awhile back about a hill being steep enough that his tractor quit pulling because of that; pump just ran out of oil.

Bird

/ Squealing TC29D
My dealer called me back and said the problem is the hydraulic oil is too cold. The tractor has sat in an unheated garage for a week and we've had temps of near 0 degrees at night and highs of only 15 during the day. It finally got above 20 yesterday. He said the oil is so thick it won't flow and this causes the pump to starve for oil and that's what causes the noise. He said it would take more than a half hour to warm up enough and recommended I heat it up in the garage with my turbo heater for about an hour. I also have a block heater on it (which I totally forgot about yesterday or I would have used it!). So, I'm going to try that this weekend and see if it helps. If this does turn out to be the problem, I'll be relieved, since that means it won't have to be in the shop all next week. We very rarely get temps this cold where I live, so it's not a big deal. However, I would certainly hesitate to buy a hydrostatic drive tractor if I still lived in Michigan where I grew up, since this kind of weather is very common from Dec through Feb.

Word of warning: My dealer said that when it makes that noise that the pump is starving for oil and that could damage the pump. So, if it makes that noise, back off on the hydro pedal and let it warm up some more.

/ Squealing TC29D #4  
Danny, the next question is which hydraulic oil does it have in it? If the cold is the problem, I'd probably be looking at changing to a synthetic.

Bird

/ Squealing TC29D #5  
I've got a TC33D and the hydraulics will make some noise on startup on the cold winter days we're getting (it's below 0F right now). But it's pretty obvious that the squealing is hydraulic (changes moving the loader valve, moving 3 pt, etc.) and I don't think it's ever taken 10 minutes for it to warm up sufficiently for all this to stop. 30 minutes sounds like too long to me.

I posted earlier this year about a squealing problem in the drivetrain of these units that is alleviated simply by ensuring that the boot covering the drive line to the front axle is completely greased. I'd suggest checking that out to - it's cheap and easy. This is easy to distinguish from the hydraulics because it squealed only with motion.

/ Squealing TC29D #6  
Danny,
Your problem sounds way to similar to mine I had awhile back. If you have a way to jack the back tire off the ground safely and then operate the HST it will confirm what the problem is. I have driven HST when it is -25 to -30 and they make noise but they do not squeal or whine after it has been driven for awhile.

/ Squealing TC29D #7  
Mike,

You bring up a good point but there are two different pumps. It is at least possible (however unlikely) that the HST pump squeals while the normal hydraulic pump does not.

I agree though about the grease. Couldn't hurt to try that first.

Peter

/ Squealing TC29D
I don't think it's the front axle drive shaft because it makes the noise when I don't have FWD engaged. But, I'll try greasing it anyway, it certainly can't hurt.

I have a floor jack and jack stands, so I'll try lifting the rear wheels off the ground and seeing what it does.

I'll let y'all know how it turns out when I get back to work on 1/2/01 (I don't have internet access at home, just at work). Happy Holidays. Mine will be better if it warms up! I moved south (from Michigan) so I wouldn't have to put up with this kind of weather, but this year it didn't do any good.

/ Squealing TC29D #9  
Danny, if you're not gone already, don't forget that you do not have locking hubs on the front wheels, so the driveshaft is turning whether or not you are 4WD. Engaging the 4WD happens at the back end of the driveshaft only.

Bird

/ Squealing TC29D
Well, it wasn't the hydraulics after all. I greased the front driveshaft and the noise went away! Thanks for the help everyone!