GT22 Dies when you engage PTO to mower.

/ GT22 Dies when you engage PTO to mower. #1  

Many Thunders

Howdy,

I hate working on the little tractors. Especially, when it is trying to deal with all the little safety switches used to protect noobies from getting hurt.

I have a 2002 New Holland GT22 lawn tractor. It has been a real trooper over the years, but suddenly there is a problem when you go to engage the PTO switch it instantly blows the 10 amp fuse and the mower dies.

IT IS NOT THE SEAT SAFETY SWITCH.
IT IS NOT THE REVERSE MOWING SWITCH/KEY
I CANNOT FIND ANY SHORTED/RUBBED WIRES

I examined the 3 relays and they all read right with a continuity meter.

Any suggestions?

Many Thunders

/ GT22 Dies when you engage PTO to mower. #2  
Probably a dumb suggestion but here goes:
Do the blades turn freely?
My Deere was doing the same thing, found a bad spindle bearing.

/ GT22 Dies when you engage PTO to mower. #3  
PTO clutch bad? I'm guessing it's an electric clutch.

/ GT22 Dies when you engage PTO to mower. #4  
I'm w. TCJatko. unplug the PTO clutch - at the clutch - . Replace the fuse and try to re-engage the pto.

If the fuse doesn't blow, it's the clutch.

/ GT22 Dies when you engage PTO to mower.
Probably a dumb suggestion but here goes:
Do the blades turn freely?
My Deere was doing the same thing, found a bad spindle bearing.

I first read your reply on while on my big tractor mowing. At first I thought "Yea that would be a silly thing to ask", but then it bothered the heck out me until I could get to the little devil and double check. I wish you had been right, but everything spins. Thanks for trying.

I'm w. TCJatko. unplug the PTO clutch - at the clutch - . Replace the fuse and try to re-engage the pto.

If the fuse doesn't blow, it's the clutch.

I'll try this in the morning. Thanks. I will let you know

/ GT22 Dies when you engage PTO to mower. #7  
How about the reverse sensing switch? You said the reverse mow switch was fine. Try holding it down while you engage the PTO. If the engine stays running then find your reverse sensing switch near the reverse pedal and see if it is shorted or maybe mis-adjusted.

How about the reverse sensing switch? You said the reverse mow switch was fine. Try holding it down while you engage the PTO. If the engine stays running then find your reverse sensing switch near the reverse pedal and see if it is shorted or maybe mis-adjusted.

The whole incident occurred while the tractor was in forward motion to begin with. I have checked the switch. I even bypassed the keyed reverse pto switch and the seat switch. Leaving for the barn now. I plan on disconnecting the pto solenoid at the clutch. I am not sure which problem I want it to be (like I have a choice) .

Many Thunders

/ GT22 Dies when you engage PTO to mower. #9  
If your battery is strong enough to crank the engine, then the PTO clutch shorting out should fry some wires without pulling voltage down to ground. As a matter of fact, I think you have a "kill wire" going to the engine that grounds out the ignition when a safety interlock senses a problem. If you can find that wire and disconnect it, you should be able to engage the PTO. If that works, the problem is definitely in the safety interlock system. . . somewhere.

FOUND IT!
It is the clutch afterall. It is fried from the bearings on out. Now it is time to hunt for parts. Thanks a bunch for yall's help.