Case DX 33 problems with power and speed.

/ Case DX 33 problems with power and speed. #1  

Rockdog

Bronze Member
Tractor
2 Kubotas; One at business, one at home,(both for PLAYing) L3830 HST w/ 723FEL and BX23
Sorry to post here but doesn't seem to be a lot of activity under the Case-IH section. Maybe they should combine New Holland and Case-IH together. Anyway, I have a new Case DX 33(same as TC 33D) w/15hrs and Woods 1012 loader and like it real well except a few little problems. The throttle lever doesn't want to work right. When I try to set the RPMs at 2000 it falls back down to a lower rpm. I use a bungee cord to keep it up where I need it but not sure if this will correct itself. Also the cruise control doesn't work either, when I press the switch the green light flashes briefly then goes off. I do a lot of road driving between jobs and thought I would do well with this model since it was rated at about 15.6mph or something around that. With the loader on and on flat level roads with the tranny in 2WD I only get about 11mph. I have a handheld GPS so it is easy to measure. This may not sound like much but it takes nearly 50% longer to get from point A to point B. I have the throttle open to about 2800rpm. Also I have found that I can't get up some of the hills on my property in HST gear II. The tractor just comes to a crawling stop without the engine bogging down. With my previous tractor, Kubota 2710 w/FEL I could go up the same hill in HST gear II with a midmount mower on and the PTO engaged and no problem. The Kubota is only 27 hp and weighs about 600lbs less but with the mmm on it probably would be about the same. I was wondering if this sounds like a hydrostat or engine problem. Engine and HST sound OK but it just doesn't seem to make sense. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Jerry

/ Case DX 33 problems with power and speed. #2  
Something doesn't sound right. Get your dealer out there to fix your new tractor under warranty. The throttle should stay where set & the cruise should work.

Also should be able to obtain top speed on the road no problems. However, I tried to clock my speed on my TC18 with a handheld gps. Didn't work so good - the speed was jumping all over the place, I think I was going too slow & the GPS refresh rate was slow as well. I had better luck with a stopwatch, a known distance & a little math.

Don't know how big your hill is so I can't really comment there, but my TC18 doesn't like hills in high gear (its only a two speed)

Good luck getting your problems resolved. Travel time & pickup/delivery aren't usually covered by warranty, but I'd try to get your dealer to provide them free as the tractor shouldn't have left the dealership in that condition.

/ Case DX 33 problems with power and speed. #3  
Rockdog,

Sorry to here about your problems.

Lets start with the throttle. Remove the black panel that the key and turn signal is mounted in. There are 4 bolts. Two under the hood and two in the center between your legs if you are sitting on the tractor. You will find a friction disc under the nut that holds the throttle lever on. Just give the nut a few turns until you are satisfied with the lever tension.

About the cruise. This has happended to me as well see this thread about the solution.

As far as ground speed I am not sure what the solution is there. My TC33D seems to do fine in 3rd range running about 2700-2900 RPM.

Mine has no problems what so ever climbing hills in II range as long as the RPMs are about 2000 or so. I have bogged it down below that though /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Hope this helps!

Keep us informed on the progress and what you do to fix the problems.

/ Case DX 33 problems with power and speed.
Hazmat, Bnixon,
Thanks for your help. I have several jobs lined up so I don't want to send it back to the dealer just yet. I will check out the wiring harness and the throttle adjustment. I'm just not sure if the speed on level ground and the inability to climb hills in 2nd gear is normal for these tractors.
Thanks, Jerry

/ Case DX 33 problems with power and speed. #5  
I've never checked my speed on my TC33D, but all out on level ground in high-range is faster than my R4's want to go; they start to get choppy. I don't have any problems climbing steep hills in mid-range with a MMM & a FEL & loaded tires. Although, climbing the steep ones high-range is a problem. I would definitely be suspect of the hydro's performance.

Question,
Does the bolt below the front of the hydrostat pedal have any adjustment/effect on the travel speed? I know it limits how far down the hydrostat pedal goes, not sure if this may need adjustment. Any thoughts? Thanks everyone for all the help and comments so far.
Jerry

/ Case DX 33 problems with power and speed. #7  
Rockdog,

As far as climbing hills in 2nd range you will experience some slow down. I have steeper hills that I mow on or just even climbing them with the tractor alone it will slow the motor down some unless I back off the Hydro.

As far as the adjustment on the pedal. I would leave that alone unless your dealer says you can play with it. I asked the same question to my dealer and he said you could back it off some if you wanted to set a speed while doing a particular task but then to bottom it out again at the right place would be tough.

murph

/ Case DX 33 problems with power and speed. #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The throttle lever doesn't want to work right. When I try to set the RPMs at 2000 it falls back down to a lower rpm. I use a bungee cord to keep it up where I need it but not sure if this will correct itself.)</font>

I had the same problem on my TC33D... happened after I had about 40 hours on it. I just lived with it till I hit 50 hours, and had the dealer fix it when they did the 50 hr maintenance (50 hr check was included in my purchase). The fix was simple, as described by one of the other posters here.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Also I have found that I can't get up some of the hills on my property in HST gear II. The tractor just comes to a crawling stop without the engine bogging down.)</font>

I just reread your post. I had missed the statement that it came to a halt without the engine bogging down. That is wierd. It sounds as though you could have a problem with your hydaulic pump/motor that makes up your drive system. I would definitely have the dealer check the problem out. Fixing this may well fix your slow speed problems as well.

Question: you did check your hydro fluid levels, didn't you?

John Mc

I did check the fluid levels, all is well. New problem, went to start the tractor and the 10 AMP fuse blew. I remember reading that this is a common problem if the lights are on when you try and start it. Change the fuse and it worked. Went to start it again a few minutes later and a blew a fuse again, and again. There was no lights, turn signals, flashers or anything turned on. The only thing different was that it was about 80 degrees out today. Also, the ignition switch seems to be hard to turn all the way over, very "sticky". Thanks guys for the input. Any thoughts?
Jerry