TC45D No Start

/ TC45D No Start #1  

BreezyRidgeTim

Tractor
New Holland TC45D
TC45D with with bad netural safety switch. Switch ordered. To complete mowing job today, netural safety switch by passed with jumper, tractor started fine. While mowing tractor shut down. #2 fuse blown, replaced, tractor restarted. While running, glow plug indicator came on, tractor shut down, fuse #2 replaced. I did this process twice! Checked forum posts, assumed fauilty glow plug relay. Glow plug relay pulled, now no start. Checked all fuses, ok. Checked jumper on netural safety wires, ok. Dash indicators come on with key on, no crank. Thanks for any help. Tim

/ TC45D No Start #2  
Tim, it's really doubtful that the glowplugs have anything to do with your starting problems and/or blowing fuse #2. I think they are unrelated. What normally causes fuse #2 to blow is the starter solenoid not fully engaging. If you jump a wire from the big battery terminal to the starter's solenoid terminal, I'd bet it will engage the starter and start just fine if all your fuses are good. I'm thinking that is NOT your problem with fuse #2 since your problem with fuse #2 occured while you were mowing; not while starting. When the tractor shuts down while running due to fuse #2, you need to check the fuel cutoff solenoid on the back of the injector pump. If it is very hot, it could indicate a failing solenoid. It also could be a faulty Operator Safety Module since both of these get power from fuse #2.

The glow plug relay and timer get operating power from fuse #1 for logic and operation. The glow plugs and the glow plug light get power directly from the 40 amp main fuse above the starter and do not have a fuse in the block under the instruments. This power does go through contacts in the glow plug relay. The glow plug timer should operate anytime the key switch is turned from off to on. If you get an intermittent drop in power, the timer thinks the key has just been turned on and will cycle again. Also, there is a bypass of the timer when you go to start on the key switch. A signal to the timer will cause the glow plugs to operate anytime the starter motor is running. This ensures there is glow plug power during starting. Pulling the timer relay should not affect normal starting. If that timer causes a starting problem, I don't see how that happens. However, if fuse #2 is blown the starter motor won't operate unless you jumper it as I mentioned earlier.

I probably don't have to remind you, but the starting rules are:

1. The starter motor will not operate if the range lever is out of neutral or the PTO lever out of off.
2. The starter motor will operate if the seat switch is open, but the fuel cutoff solenoid will be de-energized and not allow the engine to start.

/ TC45D No Start #3  
If I remember correctly that machine will not start with the glow plug relay removed, the starter relay depends on it for either a ground or power. In my experience with those tractors a lot of times weird intermittent starting/running problems end up bring a result of that cheap plastic ignition switch they put in those machines.

/ TC45D No Start #4  
If I remember correctly that machine will not start with the glow plug relay removed, the starter relay depends on it for either a ground or power. In my experience with those tractors a lot of times weird intermittent starting/running problems end up bring a result of that cheap plastic ignition switch they put in those machines.

That's not correct, Brian. The only common thing between the glow plug circuit and starting is that the same signal that goes to the starter solenoid also goes in parallel to the glow plug timer. Opening the circuit by removing the timer or power relay should only disable glow plug operation. The starter still will receive the same power through the neutral sensing switch on the transmission and the neutral start relay that is energized by the ignition switch. I'm looking at the schematic as I type this and it clearly shows there is no interaction between the two functions that would inhibit starting.

/ TC45D No Start
jinman said:
That's not correct, Brian. The only common thing between the glow plug circuit and starting is that the same signal that goes to the starter solenoid also goes in parallel to the glow plug timer. Opening the circuit by removing the timer or power relay should only disable glow plug operation. The starter still will receive the same power through the neutral sensing switch on the transmission and the neutral start relay that is energized by the ignition switch. I'm looking at the schematic as I type this and it clearly shows there is no interaction between the two functions that would inhibit starting.

Thanks guys for your help. I will try by jumping/by passing the starter. Where would I find the Operator Safety Module and how do I test it's function. Still trying to figure why the machine stops and blows #2 while running. I will check the module at the injector pump for heat. Thanks.

/ TC45D No Start #6  
jinman said:

My bad, it must be the TC33 or TC55 that does that, they kinda blur together after awhile unless I have the book in front of me.

Then again, I could have manufacturers mixed up too, I'll be quiet now.

/ TC45D No Start #7  
Here's a locator for your relays, timer, and modules.

Attachments

• AllRelays.jpg
    AllRelays.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 13,233
   / TC45D No Start #8  
need help getting tc45d to so i can finish job-was running fine -turned off engage starter -by reading forum -seems like must be neutral safety switch & /or relay-how do I test /by pass etc to get it running-don't really understand how to test starter-any help would be really great-thanks -haiku

/ TC45D No Start #9  
How do u get the black cowling under the steering wheel off (left side)?
Have removed the two bolts holding the two halves together.
Have removed the bottom bolt beside/behind the muffler.
Cannot get the center bolt to stop spinning or come out.
Does the top one have to be removed as well?
Thanks