tc35d no electric - oil pressure sending unit?

/ tc35d no electric - oil pressure sending unit? #1  

DanReynolds

Tractor
tc35d
I'm leaving the post in case it helps someone else. The details are below, but I've found the problem. I have a habit of removing the main fuse in order to disable the tractor for any would-be thief. I pulled this fuse to see if my wife saw anything bad about it and put a new fuse in. The tractor started. The old fuse looked fine so I switched it back. The tractor still started. I think there must be massive coincidence and this fuse connection is a little bad.

I've owned this tractor new as of 2001. several times there have been electrical issues all stemming from safety switches of one sort or another. Now I have another that has me baffled. Here's the story:
I blew a hose. Lost very little fluid. Put repaired hose on. I did not add any fluid.
used tractor hard working on retaining wall. A few days later:
It had been a while since changed the oil and it was thin. I changed the oil and filter.
I overfilled the oil (did not know it) and the tractor died on me while moving dirt.
It was dead -- nothing on the gauges when I turned the key on. Nothing.
I let it sit for about 5 minutes and it started right up. I thought maybe I was imagining things.
It died again after about 20-30 minutes.
After that, I got it started again and took it back to the shop to drain the overfilled oil.
I also bought hydraulic/transmission fluid and put about 5 quarts in.
Then I went back to work and after about 20-30 minutes it died and has never restarted.
I've checked all fuses, micro-mini fuses, checked the wire on the coil down below by the transmission.
I've found the wire and cap seem to be missing on the oil-pressure sending unit (i think this is what it is but can't find diagram)
Since electrical reaches the starter, but the gauges do not 'pop up' when I turn the key, I'm convinced it is a safety switch.

In previous years:
I've bypassed the safety switch under the seat. The NewHolland mechanic bypassed the safety switch under the rear differential.

any help would be appreciated.
--Dan

Last edited:
   / tc35d no electric - oil pressure sending unit? #2  
Dan,

"I blew a hose", "I overfilled the oil" and "I also bought hydraulic/transmission fluid and put about 5 quarts in."

It is very likely that you didn't over fill your crankcase. The symptoms indicate a blown seal on your hydraulic pump.

The additional oil in your crankcase is possibly hydraulic oil from the broken seal on the pump.

Mike

Last edited:
   / tc35d no electric - oil pressure sending unit? #3  
Check your battery terminals/cables. Remove both and make sure they are clean. If that doesn't solve your problem, call your dealer. Your post is all over the place and you don't know for sure what you are looking at. You've overfilled the engine oil and let the transmission get low. You have bypassed safety switches that you aren't sure what they do. Other than suggesting you check the battery terminals, I'd be afraid to make any other suggestions. Your post just doesn't give me faith that you can troubleshoot your electrical system by yourself. I wish you the best of luck.

/ tc35d no electric - oil pressure sending unit? #4  
Dan,

"I blew a hose", "I overfilled the oil" and "I also bought hydraulic/transmission fluid and put about 5 quarts in."

It is very likely that you didn't over fill your crank case. The symptoms indicate a blown seal on your hydraulic pump.

The additional oil in your crank case is possibly hydraulic oil from the broken seal on the pump.

Mike

Nice catch, Mike. It's very possible you are exactly correct on the engine oil/hyd fluid issue.

/ tc35d no electric - oil pressure sending unit? #5  
Dan,

Were you able to manipulate your 3-point lift very last time you ran the engine ?

Did you inspect your crankcase and transmission dipsticks? do you know where they are?

With the engine dead, did you inspect transmission fluid and crankcase oil level?

What kind of oils did you use for crankcase and transmission?

Does the tractor turn over when you attempt staring now?

do you have an ohmmeter or test light? do you know how to use them? by the way a faulty oil sending unit does not keep you from starting the engine, it only let's you know if you have "no oil pressure", open wiring, shorted sending unit wire. Those are for your information only.
What do you mean by saying the oil was "thin"? and were you talking crankcase/engine oil? was it black as well?

Which wire by the coil and down by transmission are you talking about? Can you explain that.

As Jim said , it is difficult to pin point or at least get close to diagnosing your problem.Try to answer my questions and maybe we can get a bit closer.

JC,

/ tc35d no electric - oil pressure sending unit? #6  
Thanks Jim

Dan, will the dash indicators and the glow plug indicator light up when you turn the key?

Show us a picture of the unidentified oil pressure sender.

Mike

/ tc35d no electric - oil pressure sending unit? #7  
I'm leaving the post in case it helps someone else. The details are below, but I've found the problem. I have a habit of removing the main fuse in order to disable the tractor for any would-be thief. I pulled this fuse to see if my wife saw anything bad about it and put a new fuse in. The tractor started. The old fuse looked fine so I switched it back. The tractor still started. I think there must be massive coincidence and this fuse connection is a little bad.

Dan,

When you have something new to post, use reply. If you edit your original message no one will notice.

Mike

/ tc35d no electric - oil pressure sending unit? #8  
Wow!! glad it worked out:confused: The Sherlock Holmes in me is saying "what the heck just happened here?":anyone:

/ tc35d no electric - oil pressure sending unit? #9  
Wow!! glad it worked out:confused: The Sherlock Holmes in me is saying "what the heck just happened here?":anyone:

I think this is called leading a horse to water, but not being able to make him drink.:rolleyes:

/ tc35d no electric - oil pressure sending unit? #10