72 ford 4000

/ 72 ford 4000 #1  

Con4000

Tractor
72 ford 4000
I just fitted a new generator to my 72 4000 and the battery light Is on when it is idling? This did not happen with my old generator? What CuD b the problem?

/ 72 ford 4000 #2  
generators are not extremely efficient devices. most charge low or won't charge at all at idle. newer units and rebuilds using new parts are almost ALL out of india.. your old one was a lucas. if the charge lamp goes off when you throttle up.. say 1000 rpm, and stays off.. you are good... the indian units are ok.. but IMHO.. are not as good as original equipment.. and that is saying alot.. as lucas wasn't a superb high quality deal anyway. actually.. their gennies were ok.. their regs leve ALOT to be desired...

if it never goes off.. then I'd look at the oldvreg.. them lucas regs get sticky dirty contacts. you can take them apart and clean up usually... or simply replace. I like to clean em before buying a new 25-40$ reg though.

again.. if lamp goes off at 'work' rpm.. then you are likely ok.

post back more info.

soundguy

/ 72 ford 4000
Hi, thanks for your info. My old genny wasn orignal Lucas either. But the light went of a few seconds in, I onli changed it cause it did not have the dyno drive for the clocks which I thought was a bit stupid. When I throttle up to 750-800 rpm it goes off. I checked with the voltmeter wile it was running and it was charging ok, touchin 13 volts. Some say 750-800 rpm is common idlin speed. It sounds a bit high to me? I read on here that sum say you have to polarise the dynamo? What do you think, Thanks.,

/ 72 ford 4000 #4  
If it didnt have a tachometer drive it was from a car.
And no telling what the specs are.

If its charging no need to polarize it.

DS

/ 72 ford 4000 #5  
ditto that. oem genny was lucas..and had a worm drive or fixture anyway, on back. if your gen didn't hav ethat.. it was a swap in from another application.

if your new gen will charge at 750-850 it's workign FINE.

that's ok idle speed. diesels cool off when idling low anyway...

i usually leave my 5000 at or around 1000 rpm to warm up anyway..

/ 72 ford 4000
No mines had nothing on it. Ye need the clocks working, ok, my tractor idles at 600 rpm. To you think it would b worth tweaking the pump so she idles at 750-800 rpm as that is common.?

/ 72 ford 4000 #7  
no pump tweaking needed.. just yank the hand throttle down some so she's setting at 750.... nothing wrong with idle of 600.. just don't leave her idling long or she can wet stack... the fact she won't charge under 750 is normal. not an issue.

I really wouldn't do any tweaking.. she sounds fine as is...

/ 72 ford 4000
Ok. I would not like to tweek either. What do mean she cud wet stack? Good to know all is. Correct with her. Was just concerned with the light.

/ 72 ford 4000 #9  
wet stack.. slobber.. etc. running a diesel at idle too long make sthem run cold.. incmplete fuel combustion.. some fuel can get out into the exhaust.. that mixed with soot makes an oil goo that slowly creeps up the stack and out any seams.. makes a runny mess down t he side of the stack.. that's 'wet stackin'

that and after cool down water vapor can condense ont he oil surface and most oil is hygroscopic.. and then you get a real mess when you start her up as stuff splatters out.

if she wet stacks.. cure is to go run her at load for an hour or two.. like mowing.. etc.. that burns all the fuel out of the exhaust and dries the soot up and blows it out like it normally would.

running the for years and years wet stacking at idle can thin the lube down as fuel gets in the oil. it's a slow problem.. not a fast problem...