STUMPED TC30 gauge shows over heating how to check gauge??????????

/ STUMPED TC30 gauge shows over heating how to check gauge?????????? #1  

smokethelineman

Tractor
Newholland tc30
OK there is no water in oil, no oil in water, no bubbles in water, temp never goes above 186 by the thermo image gauge, replaced sending unit. Problem still the same within 3-4 min the temp is in the red I was going to take the gauge out. Can I run 1 wire to the battery in 1 wire to the sending unit hook the other ends to the gauge will that work?:confused:

/ STUMPED TC30 gauge shows over heating how to check gauge?????????? #2  
OK there is no water in oil, no oil in water, no bubbles in water, temp never goes above 186 by the thermo image gauge, replaced sending unit. Problem still the same within 3-4 min the temp is in the red I was going to take the gauge out. Can I run 1 wire to the battery in 1 wire to the sending unit hook the other ends to the gauge will that work?:confused:

You're sending unit is a variable resistor that resistance (ohms) get less as it heat up and max when it is cold. On mine cold is 690 ohms, operating temp is 140 and at 1/8" before red is 66 ohms. You need to find the spec on your sending unit and find the numbers above for you rig. most likely it will be pretty close. You can short out the wire fo the sending unit to the chassis and see your meter pegging out but that does not check for the sending unit. You can read the resistance between the sending unit and ground while cold and at running temp, if the reading is way off of the specs for your sending unit then you need to invest in about $25 to buy a new one. Did not get your wiring and checking scheme but make sure not to put direct battery voltage on it as it will for sure fry it and becomes useless. Your gauge is reading the resistance and not voltage to show you the temp.

JC,

Last edited: