TT45A refuses to start?????

/ TT45A refuses to start????? #1  

Hollow

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TT45A
I've own a 2007 tt45a with 400 hours that will not start, when I turn the key all it does is make a clicking sound. I moved all the relays around under the instrument panel and nothing. I'm almost positive that it has something to do with one of the safety switches but I'm stumped. Has anyone else had this problem? :confused3:

/ TT45A refuses to start????? #2  
Have you also checked all fuses and for clean battery terminals? You normally have a safety switch to make sure the tractor is in neutral and the PTO is off. After that, the seat switch can be a culprit. I don't know the specifics of TT models, so I can't give specifics.

/ TT45A refuses to start????? #3  
I bypassed my seat switch when it kept giving me problems. Even after adjustment my pto loves to rattle it's way on so I use a bungie cord to keep it disengaged. IIRC the engine to frame ground wire was the culprit in my latest no start, but I can't remember if that might have been an issue with my trailer lights (memory fails me). Fuses have been an issue as well.

/ TT45A refuses to start?????
I was told the wiring is pretty much like the old TN series tractors. I had the local NH dealership order a couple of the relays under the instrument panel. At $11 each I'm hoping they will be a quick easy and inexpensive fix.

Thanks for the feedback y'all!

/ TT45A refuses to start????? #5  
Hollow, do you have an Operator's Manual that came with the tractor? If so, it has schematics in the back. If you have somebody who knows how to use a VOM or if you know how, that's what you need to troubleshoot this. Replacing relays without knowing exactly what is wrong with your tractor is a sure recipe for emptying your wallet and filling your "frustration bucket." Although it may sound like the most involved and slow solution, often taking your time to learn the circuits and check their operation is really the quick way to troubleshoot. I hope you are right about your relays, but my tractor is 12 years old and has been outside its entire life. I've NEVER had to replace a relay. I did replace the glow plug timer, but its failure was not due to the relay portion. Switches gum up, arc internally, or break in their housings, but relays just don't fail that often on these tractors in my experience. I wish you good luck, but I can't be very confident this relay guessing will get you good results.:(

/ TT45A refuses to start?????
Well I got the two relays and they definitely helped but didn't completely fix the problem. I was sure at least one of them was giving me problems because they weren't mounted properly. They were laying on their side on top of the fuel tank and water had gotten on one of them more than once and had the bottom of it severely corroded. But while I was working on that I noticed another problem. While the tractor was being built some brilliant person laid the wording harness that crosses over the back of the engine and goes to the starter and alternator on the fuel tank support. So for the past five years those wires have been smashed by the tank. I pulled them out from under the tank but I didn't have time to pull the harness off the starter and alternaror and out the other side of the tractor to see what condition the wires are in. I've wondered if o could get NH to fix them since it is clearly and error on their part?