7740 SL will not engage in foward or reverse

/ 7740 SL will not engage in foward or reverse #1  

george9901

I have a 1998 7740 SL 12 x 12 2 wd with cab that I bought new in 1998 so I know the tractor very well. The unit has 3340 hours and a loader that is used for moving large round bales. I just had my second replacement clutch installed. I bush hogged for for about 5 hours after getting the unit back from the dealer. I got out to shut a gate and got back in the tractor. The forward reverse lever would not move. It is like an immovable object, no play at all. The 3 ranges & the 4 speeds all work ok. The clutch works fine and the unit will start. I have had some issues with the range and 4 speed hanging in gear, but this was in the linkage in side the rubber boot. I talked to a mechanic and he said there could be "loose tabs" in the small box on top of the transmission. I took the access plate off in the bottom of the cab and removed the 4 bolts where the forward/reverse lever goes into a small "box" that is on top of the transmission, nothing looks out of the ordinary in the the small box. I need help/advice, as I am in the middle of nowhere doing custom bush hogging for an individual on some hilly terrain. Obviously I need to get the tractor home to repair myself or take back to the dealer for repair. Any one have any suggestions on what might be wrong and how to repair in the field, is there any way to get it to engage the forward/reverse in order to get in where I get it to the main road so I can load and trailer it home if a major repair is needed? Thanks for any suggestions!!

/ 7740 SL will not engage in foward or reverse #2  
I remember an interlock on the shuttle shift linkage on some forty series tractors. It prevents the shuttle lever from moving unless the clutch pedal is down. You might check that. There will be a cable attached to the clutch pedal linkage up near the pedal pivot point, going down below the floorplate to the shift linkage.

/ 7740 SL will not engage in foward or reverse
Thanks we are going out and check that later today

/ 7740 SL will not engage in foward or reverse
The cable had come loose from the clutch petal, it was an easy fix but difficult to get to. We reattached the cable to the clutch assembly and everything is working great.Thanks so much for the post/reply Harry, by the way we are in Kentucky between Frankfort and Louisville

/ 7740 SL will not engage in foward or reverse #5  
I have a 7740SL, I have the tractor broke down to replace the forward and reverse have already replaced the shift collar on top of the transmission but still have a lot of slack. The forward and reverse synchronizer is not that old maybe 1000 hours . I have heard that a shaft wears out and start eating into the housing, is there any truth to that and what do I need to be looking for. Also 11234 shifter transmission jams between second and third. It appears that all linkage is good so what do I need to look for in the transmission or what could the problem be.

/ 7740 SL will not engage in foward or reverse #6  
How were you able to replace the shift collar without removing the synchronizer? It seems the collar is part of the synchronizer and is not listed separately. Any slack or excessive wear/endplay should have been noticeable at that point. Maybe you're referring to having replaced the fwd/rev fork and have not removed the shaft and related components?
As for the other shifting problem, that's a hard guess not knowing which transmission and/or shifter arrangement you have.