T4. Powerstar vs. T4000 series

/ T4. Powerstar vs. T4000 series #1  

ironpen

Gold Member
Tractor
tn75s, tc33d, mc35, gt65, 6640, 3010s, TS110, TS115, TN70, Massey 5470, Kubota F2690
I am confused. Looking at the NH website, I can't tell if the powerstars are an upgrade or economy version of the T4000's. Can anyone enlighten me? TIA

/ T4. Powerstar vs. T4000 series #2  
I think the Powerstar is replacing the 4000 but I don't know for sure. What I do know is they are very nice tractors with a lot of bells and whistles at a very affordable price range. Not an economy model in my mind.

/ T4. Powerstar vs. T4000 series #3  
I am confused. Looking at the NH website, I can't tell if the powerstars are an upgrade or economy version of the T4000's. Can anyone enlighten me? TIA

I too have been a bit confused.

I have a T4050 Deluxe with Super Steer and I have investigated the PowerStar line. The PowerStar tractors are a bit lighter with (in some cases) less engine displacement and fewer bells and whistles. Super Steer is not available. They are also less expensive. The ergonomics are a bit more modern. I expect NH will replace the T4000 line with the PowerStar line as the market is becomming more competitive.

I do not consider the PowerStar line an upgrade, nor do I consider it an economy version, as is the Workmaster line, but rather a market reaction.

Dean

/ T4. Powerstar vs. T4000 series
Thanks. I have a TN75 S and it has been a really good machine. I have not worked it too hard and have no problems. The main thing I don't like is the hump in the middle of the cab. That is not enough to spend all the $ for a new model and I really like the SuperSteer and turf tires, but that flat floor is really enticing. I wasn't aware that SuperSteer wasn't available. Does your 4050 have a flat floor in the cab or is there a hump in the middle?? The 4030 looks like the replacement for the TN75 as far as specs go. They don't have a 4000 series at my dealership for me to look at and I can't tell from the pix on the NH website. TIA

/ T4. Powerstar vs. T4000 series #5  
From what I've read, I agree with SDT. According to their brochures, smaller engine displacement, 400-500 less pounds for the 4.75 models when compared to 4040 series. Not too many more bells and whistles, but mostly ergonomic redesign.

I was told by my dealer last week that he can't get me a new T4040. None already built equipped like I need that dealers will release to dealer trade. If I want new I'd have to go with the new series.

So I'm looking at a 2010 T4040 w/255 hrs and a new 820TL loader. I'm saving $7K off new price so I think it's a better deal anyway. The reason I don't want a T4.75 is they are ten inches taller. I gotta have low and wide. Salesman said the poultry guys are already complaining because the new series are too tall for their barns.

I've been a Kubota guy for several years but their comparable sized utility tractors are also too tall and narrow to suit me. So I'm anxious to try blue.

/ T4. Powerstar vs. T4000 series #6  
Thanks. I have a TN75 S and it has been a really good machine. I have not worked it too hard and have no problems. The main thing I don't like is the hump in the middle of the cab. That is not enough to spend all the $ for a new model and I really like the SuperSteer and turf tires, but that flat floor is really enticing. I wasn't aware that SuperSteer wasn't available. Does your 4050 have a flat floor in the cab or is there a hump in the middle?? The 4030 looks like the replacement for the TN75 as far as specs go. They don't have a 4000 series at my dealership for me to look at and I can't tell from the pix on the NH website. TIA

The floor in my T4050 is not flat. The hump is about 6", which I do not find objectionable. The hydraulic brakes and clutch are nice features which will be noticeable after long hours in the seat.

As an aside, it appears to me that the T 4000 series can be set with more narrow wheel spacing than can the PowerStar line. This is VERY important to me and I measured a T4.75 PowerStar open station tractor at my dealer about a month ago. IIRC, with rear wheels set fully inward (not considering reversal of centers), the T4.75 was already wider than my T4050 even though the rear wheels on my T4050 can easily be set in another 2"+ on each side without reversing the centers or placing the tires too close to the fenders. I use my tractors mostly for mowing with various mowers and overall width is very important in order to clear obstructions. I find it surprising that the smaller (?), lighter PowerStar line cannot be set as narrow as my TOL T4050 Deluxe with the same size rear tires (16.9X30).

I readily admit that the PowerStar line has upgraded and, in my opinion, improved ergonomics.

FWIW, I just bought a MF 2635 FWA open station tractor for mowing duty. The 2635 is a 60+ PTO HP basic, no frills utility tractor but, unlike the NH WorkMaster line, does have a fully synchronized main (4 speed) transmission. I bought the 4X2 synchro shuttle, independent PTO, dual remotes, 4 rear weights, front weight bracket with 6 weights and FEL with HD bucket. The package was $30,000 and change, cash. Neither NH not Kubota could come within $5,000 or $6,000 for the package as speced.

That said, the 60 HP MF can be set rather narrow for a 60 HP tractor but my T4050 with 80 PTO HP can be set even more narrow and, with SS, is much more maneuverable, if considerably more expensive.

My T4050 would be PERFECT for my purposes if it was open station.

SDT

/ T4. Powerstar vs. T4000 series #7  
I just bought a T4020, it has not made it to my place yet! Hopefully, be delivered in the next few days. I thought about the T4.75 but, i didn't like the feel as well as 4000 series. My dealer didn't have any T 4000 series tractor so, they bought it from another dealer. When all of this was going on last week there were very few T4020 to choose from. He called three dealers while i was sitting in his office all were sold except for the last one (mine, now). They seem to be hard to come by. I'm only telling you this because it might be real difficult to find a 4000 series tractor. I would hate to make up my mind on a tractor and then not be able to get it because none are available. Anyway, it may have just be my impression that they are hard to come by. Good luck!!!

As a couple of others have said, my dealer also told me that 4000 series is being replaced by the T4 powerstar along with maybe a T5000 model too (not sure about the T5000 model but, i think i read somewhere that one of the 5000 series models is also being replaced)

Last edited: