Could This be a Burned Valve - Ford 4610??

/ Could This be a Burned Valve - Ford 4610?? #1  

wjb-49

Silver Member
Tractor
LS MT573-CPS, Ford 4610
A couple of months ago I bought what I believe to be around a 1988 - 1990 (still have not located s/n) Ford 4610. Both my brother and I took it for a test spin and did not notice any problems with the engine; it sounded good to us. When the tractor was delivered and I hooked it up a my rotary cutter, I heard an unusual sound in third gear. When we go over 1500 - 1600 RPM the motor has what can best be described as a skip or putter and simply does not run smoothly. At higher gears the sound is not as noticeable, but it still does not run smooth.

We serviced the tractor, changed the fuel and air filters and cleaned all fuel related filters and lines and noticed some improvement - but it still "putters" and does not run as smoothly as it should. :confused: I asked my local repair shop to check it again and they concluded it is probably a burned valve. This tractor starts exceptionally easily, does not smoke and does not appear to use any oil. Could this be a burned valve or should we check something else?

Any opinions or insight is appreciated.

IMG_0295.JPG IMG_0296.JPG

/ Could This be a Burned Valve - Ford 4610?? #2  
Could well be a burnt valve. I would do a compression test, burnt valves leak, but so do rings.

Russell

/ Could This be a Burned Valve - Ford 4610?? #3  
If it was a burnt valve, it will miss all the time. Have the valves been adjusted? A compression test would also be a good idea.

Dave

/ Could This be a Burned Valve - Ford 4610?? #4  
It could be a dirty injector that doesn't deliver full flow at higher powers, has a poor spray pattern, etc. Make sure all your fuel line fittings are tight so you don't leak air in the lines. Another place to look is the strainer in the bottom of the fuel tank. It could be partially clogged an limiting fuel at higher powers.

A compression check will rule out a bad valve and a wet and dry compression test will tell you the condition of the rings. I'd do that first . If that didn't reveal a problem then I'd pull the injectors and have them checked.

Last edited:
   / Could This be a Burned Valve - Ford 4610?? #5  
jerry gets the gold ribbon.

a wet / dry tests will show a comp loss and help you decide valves or rings ( wet test don't help valves )..

I too might think injector problem.

i like to change fuel filters and fill the new filter with power service or other injector cleaners and then start them that way, as well as double dosing the tank on a new to me machine.

inthe end.. the comp test and an injecto test / pump / spray pattern test will be telling.

/ Could This be a Burned Valve - Ford 4610??
Thanks to all of you for your replies. Last week I talked with the owner of the shop where I have work done on farm equipment and he called the machine shop he deals with while I was at his shop. After listening to a description of the problem, the machine shop owner suggested we have the injectors tested first. I mentioned doing a compression test and the repair shop owner was somewhat evasive about that - he may not have the test equipment. I am going to talk with him about the compression test again.

I was mowing with this tractor yesterday and checked the motor oil before I started mowing. It was approx. 1/8" below the bottom full mark and I put about 1/2 quart of oil in. I did not check the oil level immediately after having it serviced, so I do not know how much the oil level has dropped since the service. This tractor does not smoke. I'm going to keep a closer eye on the oil level. Question: would it not smoke if it is "burning" oil?

Thanks again.

/ Could This be a Burned Valve - Ford 4610?? #7  
Do you notice any oil drips at the rear of the engine? if you don't see any blue exhaust smoke it's most likely not burning oil. If it's not dripping engine oil anywhere, I would conclude you didn't fill it to the full mark when you serviced it or you checked it hot initially and cold later and that's the difference. But I would continue to check it.

/ Could This be a Burned Valve - Ford 4610?? #8  
yup.. I agree.

and I'd dose the heck out of it with an injection cleaner... like a 3x dose on a low tank.. like I said before.. I'e fileed a fitler with cleaner and installed it when changing before..e tc..

/ Could This be a Burned Valve - Ford 4610??
Good news - bad news! Finally got my 4610 to the shop last week and it is the exhaust valves, that's the bad news. The good news is that they can of course be fixed. I took the head to a machine shop today and the technician said this is a common problem with the 4610 exhaust valves. Now that the engine is torn down, we're going to also replace the rings. This should fix the problem - I hope.

Will post an update when all is put back together.

Thanks to all for your recommendations!