Will forcing the PTO to run backwards do internal damage?

/ Will forcing the PTO to run backwards do internal damage? #1  

wd72588

Sorry if my title is a bit confusing but here is a better description of my question. I have a 200? TC35 that I am using to run a T6 Harley Rake. I was not getting the desired finish I wanted so I disengaged the pto and dropped the rake to the ground using it as a cultipacker and presto! It worked great. But then it seemed to bind up so I thought I had better pose the question to some experts before damaging my pto internals. With the pto engaged, the rake drum rotates like a reverse tine tiller. So when I am dragging it with the pto disengaged, the pto is actually being 'pushed' in a reverse rotation. Is this a bad practice or should I not be concerned? Thanks for the help. K

/ Will forcing the PTO to run backwards do internal damage? #2  
Why not disconnect the PTO driveshaft (use a bungee cord to support it)?

/ Will forcing the PTO to run backwards do internal damage?
Thought about that but the pto is really cookin and I am sure it will start swinging. I do have the option of taking it completely off but I didn't want to dsiassemble my rake and then have to reassemble it multiple times on each job.

/ Will forcing the PTO to run backwards do internal damage? #4  
the main issue is if the tractor has a pto brake(sounds like it does) is that it is being forced to turn AGAINST the brake. possibly damaging the brake

That sounds like a good enough reason for me to not do it. Thanks. Too bad because it worked great.....

/ Will forcing the PTO to run backwards do internal damage? #6  
Thought about that but the pto is really cookin and I am sure it will start swinging. I do have the option of taking it completely off but I didn't want to dsiassemble my rake and then have to reassemble it multiple times on each job.

Just unhook it from the tractor end...or even pull the tractor half of the PTO driveshaft.

/ Will forcing the PTO to run backwards do internal damage? #7  
There's no way to completely disengage the PTO from the PTO clutch/brake unless you have a mid-PTO for a belly mower. Forcing the PTO in reverse will lead to early and rapid failure of the PTO brake.

EDIT: If you have a shear-pin on the cultipacker end of the PTO shaft, you can pull that pin and allow the PTO shaft to spin freely. Otherwise, you will have to decouple the PTO shaft or build a rig to allow it to float as Roy described.

/ Will forcing the PTO to run backwards do internal damage? #8  
How about adding an over run clutch then go in reverse. This will leave tire track showing, but shouldn't hurt the PTO.

The over run clutch is a good idea. I will finish the job I am on now and try that setup. I have an over run clutch on my 8n I could pull and test. I will not, however, keep doing it as I did the other day thanks to the experts on this forum. Thanks a bunch for your help. K

Last edited:
   / Will forcing the PTO to run backwards do internal damage? #10  
Install round to spline adapter on the gearbox and then change either the yoke or the gearbox half of the PTO shaft for one with the same quick coupler as on the spline adapter. That way it will be easy to disconnect the PTO shaft on tractor or gearbox side.
Tractor Supply - Search Results for PTO adaptrs