Traction Four Wheel Drive Problem....noises!

/ Four Wheel Drive Problem....noises! #1  

pkirby

Tractor
TC45D
My 06 TC45D recently started like a rotational /grinding noise only in 4WD. It "popped" under load straight line.Sounds like it was wearing/weakening/breaking prior to when it actually failed,but it gave no indication. I have not used the 4WD since . It only happened once.

I am pretty sure after isolating the problem somewhat (adjusted linkage to make sure I was fully engaged;lifting all 4 wheels off ground and placing it in 4WD) that the noise is coming from where the front shaft engages the differential; the spline area. Under no load while lifted I can feel the shaft catching as it rotates, it should be rotating completely free of course.

I did some forum searching and located a couple threads and blow up diagrams.I am trying to refine my next action and what I am up against. If its something I should disassemble and what parts, how long,how much,etc..What anyone knows about this issue is welcome information.

Thanks,
Paul

/ Four Wheel Drive Problem....noises! #2  
G'day first thing I would be doing is to drain the front diff oil into a nice clean container and look for metal:( ( shavings or chunks:eek:) if you do find any then I would be pulling the front diff to bits to find out what has failed. The problem with this type of fwd is that even though you have got the 4wd disengaged it will still turn the front diff and final drives ( i.e no free wheeling hubs) so if you have got damage in the diff then you are prob making it worse by still using the tractor.
If you have a sliding coupling where the driveshaft from the trans to the diff goes into the diff then slide it back and check the splines on it as they have been known to wear there as well.
Let us know what you find and good luck
Oh and :welcome: to TBN:thumbsup:

Jon

/ Four Wheel Drive Problem....noises! #3  
If your tractor is equipped with Super Steer you should inspect the yokes threaded pins. These pins retain the yokes onto the splines. The threaded pin is threaded into the yoke while the pinned end extends into a bore on the splined shaft. This pin was missing and had to be replaced on my TC40D.

If this threaded pin is missing from the yoke you could damage either the yoke shown below or the splined coupling in the drop box. The damage would occur when these respective components travel off the splines.

Mike
Yoke.JPG

Last edited:
   / Four Wheel Drive Problem....noises!
Thanks for the replies.

It is not a super steer.

Any opinions on this being a job I should attempt repairs on?

Or even remove parts and take an assembly to a differential repair shop?

Thanks
Paul

/ Four Wheel Drive Problem....noises! #5  
Thanks for the replies.

It is not a super steer.

Any opinions on this being a job I should attempt repairs on?

Or even remove parts and take an assembly to a differential repair shop?

Thanks
Paul

Paul, I think you have to answer those questions best for yourself. Do you have a repair manual with all the specs for runout and preloading? Do you have any experience working on differentials? If you do this and it breaks again or you can't get it back together safely, can you afford to pay somebody else after spending the money on repair parts for your first attempt?

My calculations of whether I want to do a job always include whether I can afford to pay somebody else to fix my mess. For many things, that convinces me to just let them do it from the get-go. Of course, I have great confidence in my dealer's shop and have a good relationship with them. I also know my own limitations. These are all things that you have to consider for yourself.

So, I guess I rambled around and didn't answer your question. I would say yes. . . maybe.:rolleyes:

All opinions welcome,so thanks. As you can imagine I am weighing those same concerns . Haven't done anything yet but will advise my course of action . Any other thoughts on my situation I would like to hear.

Thanks,
Paul

/ Four Wheel Drive Problem....noises! #7  
Like Jinman said only you can decide. I would do the disassemble and inspection, then based on what the problem is make a decision on who fixes it. The repair shop doesn't need the whole tractor just the broken parts or sub assembly, provided you can reassemble.

I opted for professional repair. I will stick to what I am good at (when I find out what that is).

So far it is the "coupling" that has failed.

It is part #39 on the diagram. It has been superceded by #39.1. Does anyone know why?

Additionally ,the drive pinion is maybe a problem. It is over $500. The drive pinion also has been superceded with a new part .

Will know more tomorrow.

Paul.

/ Four Wheel Drive Problem....noises! #9  
Good luck.

I ordered a new drive shaft,ring and pinion gear,and coupling My front axle number (take left front tire off; stamped in hub) number was high enough that I didn't have to order the updated casing for an additional $603. As it is, I have over $800 in parts coming in. The ring and pinion was over $500 by itself..

Will update end of week after repairs are hopefully completed.

Paul

Last edited: