Fluids / Lube New to me Ford 550

/ Fluids / Lube New to me Ford 550 #11  
OK I guess you guys missed my point.... I don't know what TSC means nor UTF. What is SCA? Geez what am I getting into with this machine.

SCA Supplement Coolant Additive. You will see specifics.. such as dca-2, dca-4, fw-16 etc. Many diesel are wet sleeve and need a cavitation / electrolysis addative to prevent cavitation erosion and porrosity in the block and cyl wall liners.. otherwise you will / can erode a hole thrut he liner and have water in a combustion chamber.. etc. These addatives are added tot he regular 'green' and other basic coolants. You either add by volume.. IE.. x oz's per gallon of capacity, or more preferably, add then test with test strips to determine proper concentration/ph etc. keep in mind many protucts are not compatible ( nor is coolant mixing sugested ) with the OAT or organic acid antifreezes.. usually the extended life ones.. like dexcool, and the odd orange colored ones.. etc.. pink.. etc. there ARE some UNIVERSAL coolants out there that claim they CAN be mixed with extended use coolants. I personally would not.. etc.

TSC ( tractor supply company ).. it's a common farm store. Used to see Farm and Fleet also.. but not some much anymore.. at least not around where i live..

/ Fluids / Lube New to me Ford 550 #13  
OK I guess you guys missed my point.... I don't know what TSC means nor UTF. What is SCA? Geez what am I getting into with this machine.

TSC or Tractor Supply Company is not everywhere but there are farm stores over most of the USA I noticed when traveling. A small chain is Rural King. Most part houses like NAPA etc have these fluids in stock.

/ Fluids / Lube New to me Ford 550 #14  
Soundguy, WOW thanks for the detailed info man. Which is really what I was hoping for.
My wife and I recently moved into our first home together. I've got 1/2 an acre with a bunch of work that needs to be done to the landscape. I bought my 550 for 6k with 12", 18" and 24" buckets, new tires on extra rims for the front and a new tire for the rear. The front tires on there now are shot and the left rear is bald but like I said the guy gave me a newer tire to replace it. Also included in the sale is a deck over trailer. I think for 6k I made out well. Haven't moved the trailer yet but drove the 550 home... Normally 25 min ride became a 50 min ride and she drove great!... No Smoke and asked no questions just drove like she should. Front end was sloppy and thought I was going to run into on coming traffic a few times...lol I figured with the amount of work I need to do renting a backhoe would cost me 3-4k so buying this machine was a no brainer. Problem is I know diddly squat about diesel mechanics.

/ Fluids / Lube New to me Ford 550 #15  
I have a TSC about 30 min away. Napa, walmart, autozone are all 5 min away. I think the TSC will have to be the emergency ride. I do mechanical work on my cars, trucks, boats and bikes so I know better than to mix fluids. This is my first time dealing with anything diesel.

/ Fluids / Lube New to me Ford 550 #16  
i think you did fine for a 550 for 6k with the tires and trailer.

unless you hit a real snag.. you probably won't have to be doing much diesel mechanicing. just maint stuff. feul filters.. oil filters.. hydro filters..e tc.

steering.. I almost wouldn't worry about.. on your lot.. even if it is sloppy.. you are fine. if you rode traffic all day.. or mowed.. then yeah... fix sloppy steering.. for doing hoe work? it'd be on the bottom of my to do list.. after picking ear / nose hairs out..

/ Fluids / Lube New to me Ford 550 #17  
hahahah~!
Thanks Soundguy. I forgot to mention the machine was garage kept when stored. for its age really a clean machine..
First order of business is I need to install a block heater... The one that is there I think is bad because the wires look like that have been melted off at the unit.
Then a full fluid change...

Are you really a soundguy? I'm a retired touring musician.

/ Fluids / Lube New to me Ford 550 #18  
Lucas Oil 10018 Hydraulic Oil Booster with Stop Leak. Gallon : Amazon.com : Automotive

The welder who rebuilt both the FEL and hoe buckets and attached my thumb recommended this so I tried it. It stopped one fast dripping cylinder on the hoe from leaking so.

The real test in my view came when I added a quart to the 1976 265 MF lift system. The fluid looked new like but I know is many years old. The PTO leaks at the rear seal and the brakes especially really grabs after it has been parked for a while, especially the right side.

Clearly the brake grabbing was 90% improved the next time that I used it. This makes me think UTF can loose its lubing abilities over the years. Have not paid attention to see if PTO seal leak has changed but I know the brake grabbing got better fast and I am 100% sure the Lucas Hydraulic Booster renewed the additive package that stopped the serious grabbing.

I am new to this product so it may make every tire go flat and holes in all the pistons but so far I have not had a negative result but I am looking for them.

I have filters and fluid for the 265 MF but just never changed it out so I thought I would try the quart. This fluid is going into the truck hydraulic tank after I get the crud out of the hoist system so I figure the Lucas may help that old lift. The pump seals need replacing I know.

At this time I see the Lucas Hydraulic Booster as a stop gap measure for UTF that needs to be replaced but just has not happened yet.

Read the reviews of the guy with the road grader with a 10 gallon a day leak that cut it down to 1/2 gallon a day leak. Often on old equipment that seldom gets used spending thousands of dollars to rebuild the hydraulics is really hard to justify if one can buy some time.

The welding shop owner showed me where his 555? was parked and the ground did not grow anything then he showed me where it has been parked for a few months and there as no oil on the ground. It was coming out of transmission weep holes I expect.

/ Fluids / Lube New to me Ford 550
I think you did really well on the purchase. I paid 6K no trailer. Condition does matter but for 1/2 acre, you could use it and sell it for what you paid, maybe more.

For the coolant, if you use a diesel coolant with SCAs in it, check the bottle. I found that almost all wanted it to be mixed with deionized water. This gets expensive quick. I used regular 50/50 mix green with Ford DCA-4. I use the Ford additive in my diesel truck seems to work, no holes yet.

The utf can go in every gearbox but the engine oil. Including the power steering. If you check the tractor supply website hey have their utf on sale alot. I think to change all the fuilds it is close to 50 gallons.

/ Fluids / Lube New to me Ford 550
For you cold starting issue: Some of the 550s had a cold start pre-heater. See if your ignition key turns to the left. If you have the pre-heater the key will turn one click to the left to warm the heater then again left and the engine will turn over. If it starts this way make sure you turn it back to the right after a few minutes other wise the heater will run and waste fuel. At 15f it may still not start but worth a shot.

Working on a diesel is simple. At least you know that if it does not run, it is not the spark plugs.