Parking Brake Pain in the Back !

/ Parking Brake Pain in the Back ! #1  

Mrwurm

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower
Well, I use my parking brake quite a bit so I can leave the tractor running when I climb down to attach implements, a chain, clear my path, etc. On the NH TC30 the parking brake is set by reaching down and pushing forward on a very short lever. You must simultaneously push the brake pedal with the right foot and reach 'way-down' and push on the little lever next to your foot and then release the brake (with your foot) while keeping hold of the little lever so the teeth will engage. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I'ts a real pain /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I don't bend so much in the middle anymore and arthritus makes it hard on the hips. My old John Deere 650 had a spring loaded arm that you set and then sat back up. You would then push your brake pedal and it would 'click, click, click' into a locked position. This was much simpler. So, I'm trying to figure a way to move this locking lever up or automate part of the process like on the John Deere. See photo, the orange lever sets the parking brake.

Attachments

• 283306-DCP_0346-smaller.jpg
    283306-DCP_0346-smaller.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 825
   / Parking Brake Pain in the Back ! #2  
I can't tell from your picture, but can you hold the brake pedal down with your right foot and engage the parking brake with your left foot? Another option might be to slip a piece of metal tubing over the lever so it sticks up further so you can reach it. A longer lever might get in the way when getting on or off, but maybe you could bend it so it's in a position that doesn't get in the way. It's difficult to reach the parking brake on my TC40 with my hand, but my problem is more like too much pizza, cookies, pie......... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Parking Brake Pain in the Back !
Dave, I can see what you mean and I will give it a try.

I read your bio and see some interesting things...

1) Born in 1964. Me too ! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2) Live in Western Michigan. I used to live and work in the Kalamazoo area. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

3) Occupation: Fish and Wildlife Biologist. Well I'm not a fish biologist, but I am an aquarium junky. I always have a few tanks running. Sometimes more than a few /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Jerry

I have an idea to solve my parking brake issue. I was thinking of buying an automotive type choke control and cable and installing the knob kinda below my ignition switch. I would hook up the cable to the parking brake lever and use the control to pull and hold the lever in position until I release the brake pedal to lock it.

/ Parking Brake Pain in the Back ! #5  
Let me know if it works ( </font><font color="blue" class="small">( automotive type choke control and cable )</font> ). I have the same problem with my 1520. (Also have the age and pizza problems /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

Karl, I bought the choke control today. Tomorrow I may start looking and thinking about how I will hook it up /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Parking Brake Pain in the Back ! #7  
Jerry,

Have you looked at the TC29D or TC33D. Mine is similar to the choke cable Idea but is under the right side of the seat. You just reach down there and pull up on the "T" handle and press the pedal.

I like how it works. Just an idea.

Brandon, I thought about that yesterday. There is room next to the seat to mount the control, but it seems that if I have gloves on I won't be able to get my hand in there.

Here is what I am working on right now. I drilled and bent a 1/8 in thick piece of aluminum and attached it to two existing studs under my selective control valve. I then drilled a hole to mount the control knob assembly. The hole is not centered, but favors more toward the tractor for clearance reasons. See picture.

Attachments

• 283787-DCP_0348.s.jpg
    283787-DCP_0348.s.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 486
View from below. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The control comes a little closer to my foot than I would like. I will leave it in place and test it for fit a bit this week. I can always readjust the position.

Attachments

• 283788-DCP_0349.s.jpg
    283788-DCP_0349.s.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 396
Picture of the bracket. This was a piece of scrap so it has an extra hole that serves no purpose. The notch provides clearance for the loader valve 'down tube'. The holes are 3/8. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Attachments

• 283792-DCP_0350.s.jpg
    283792-DCP_0350.s.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 324