TC35A - Quitting while running

/ TC35A - Quitting while running #1  

CentralNC

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC35A
Guys -

I am having an issue with my TC35A. I hope someone might give me some guidance. My tractor will be running just fine and then all of a sudden it will die and the PTO light will come on. I can turn the switch off and then back on .... wait for a few seconds (10 seconds maybe).... hear a "click" and then the PTO light will go off and the tractor will restart. It was only happening if I was backing up a lot like when I would use the bucket to move dirt. This morning it happened when I jumped on the tractor to bush hog. It died as I was going forward. I can wait for about 10 seconds .... hear the click as if something is trying to reset ... but now the PTO light comes back on and I can't crank it.

It is as if one of the safety sensors is failing. I replaced the PTO safety sensor several years ago and it seems to be working fine. The PTO sensor shouldn't kill the engine once it is running though.

I thought about the #2 fuse, but I have one of those metal fuses in the #2 slot. Is it possible that it can go bad? That would explain the "click" as it resets.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

/ TC35A - Quitting while running #2  
I had one of the metal fuses go out, but I can't remember what it messed with. Hopefully jinman will show up with the answer. He's pretty good at this stuff.

/ TC35A - Quitting while running #3  
Look for a bad relay or a circuit breakerthat controls the fuel cutoff solenoid.

/ TC35A - Quitting while running #4  
Possible seat switch problem, intermittent connection? Pull the wire off the switch and put a temp jumper across the plug to see if things improve. As stated Jinman will be along with the best solution.

/ TC35A - Quitting while running #5  
I think Jerry is on the right track. The "metal" fuse is probably a self-resetting circuit breaker and that's the click. It's always possible that a CB can be faulty. You might replace it with a 10 amp fuse and see if that blows. If not, then go get another CB and install it. Most often the CB pops when there is a slow-engaging starter solenoid, but since you are started and running, I don't believe this is the issue.

I would also normally say that your seat safety switch was the likely culprit since the tractor dies while you are running, but that would not make the PTO lamp illuminate. What's left is that the fuel solenoid may be shorting internally and drawing too much current. If it is, it will be very hot. The fuel solenoid is on the back side of your injector pump. It has a knurled body and is easily removed by hand. On the end, there is one spade connector.

So, I'm gonna say you most likely have a problem with the CB being defective or the fuel solenoid is drawing excessive current. It also could be a shorted relay/switch, but checking those requires removing the cowling under the steering wheel and is a much bigger job. I'd check the easy things first.

/ TC35A - Quitting while running
Guys -

Thanks for all the responses. I actually went out with the Voltage Meter right after I posted the question. I checked the battery and was fiddling around with the safety switches. I had it running and then "dropped" the seat from the tilt-up position. The tractor died just like it did when I was driving it. I cut two short pieces of wire and jumped the seat safety switch. The tractor cranked and ran without a problem. I have been using it for the past 3 hours with no issues. I just stopped for a drink and some lunch. I wanted to post the results.

It looks like I will be buying a new safety switch. Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate all the support here on TBN.

- Jamie

/ TC35A - Quitting while running #7  
Jamie, normally the seat switch fails open (won't close when you sit in it). It appears yours is shorting to ground. That's a rare failure.

/ TC35A - Quitting while running #8  
Jamie, normally the seat switch fails open (won't close when you sit in it). It appears yours is shorting to ground. That's a rare failure.

You might want to follow the wiring going to the switch making sure there is no pinch point and/or break in the wiring beneath the insulation. Would have the same symptoms as a failed switch.

/ TC35A - Quitting while running #9  
You might want to follow the wiring going to the switch making sure there is no pinch point and/or break in the wiring beneath the insulation. Would have the same symptoms as a failed switch.

I thought of that possibility, but Jamie said he jumpered the connector and the problem went away. If the wires were pinched or shorted, jumpering the switch would not have kept the short from occuring. However, if it is an intermittent short in the wiring, he could still have problems. I just thought that his lowering the seat and instantly causing a problem along with the jumper getting him going again were two clues that strongly point to the seat switch shorting to the metal seat platform. Hey! Between the two of us, I'm sure we'll get him the best advice you can give in a forum without actually being able to put hands-on.:thumbsup:

/ TC35A - Quitting while running #10  
I thought of that possibility, but Jamie said he jumpered the connector and the problem went away. If the wires were pinched or shorted, jumpering the switch would not have kept the short from occuring. However, if it is an intermittent short in the wiring, he could still have problems. I just thought that his lowering the seat and instantly causing a problem along with the jumper getting him going again were two clues that strongly point to the seat switch shorting to the metal seat platform. Hey! Between the two of us, I'm sure we'll get him the best advice you can give in a forum without actually being able to put hands-on.:thumbsup:

You're probably right Jim. I didn't want the OP getting discouraged if the problem reappeared because during the jumper maneuver he made a broken or pinched wire move. I should know better though because those kind of things only happen to me (and have in the past).:)