Ford 1700 not turning starter, battery good, new starter 1 year ago. Clicks only, su

/ Ford 1700 not turning starter, battery good, new starter 1 year ago. Clicks only, su #11  
Soundguy, thanks, but I am still not sure what. The battery already has the pos cable attached to the solenoid. To bypass the other electrical system (the ign and clutch safety) and jump the starter to see if it's going to turn over the engine I am thinking the jumper needs to be connected to some other place, otherwise I am not changing the 12 volt at the starter and not bypassing anything.

Ray,

Look at the pics below, red is directly coming from the battery. if you have a meter you can check the voltage there to the ground and you have to have battery voltage. The smaller white wire is your solenoid start circuit. If you short that then it will pull the solenoid, meshes the starter gear with flywheel and make a an internal contact so the starter would turn. You can also short out between the big two studs/lugs and that would bypass the solenoid but will turn the starter without meshing the starter gear with the flywheel. It is kind of scary as a bit of spark might fly but screwdriver can be used to short out the post as Soundguy suggested. Make sure to stay safe. You don't want to be pinned there and have tractor run away from you.

JC,

DSC03605.jpg

DSC03603.jpg

/ Ford 1700 not turning starter, battery good, new starter 1 year ago. Clicks only, su
I guess I am getting out of mechanical shape. I haven't worked on anything lately. Let me review here. If I put a screwdriver between the 2 big lugs in the bottom picture it will turn the starter without engaging the flywheel. Or I can attach my 12 volt jumper from the battery to the top smaller lug that the white wire is attached to and the starter will engage the flywheel and turn over the engine (if) the starter is still in operating condition? Did I miss anything? This will bypass the clutch safety too, is that correct?
I have the tractor blocked and both shifters in netural so it won't run over me.

/ Ford 1700 not turning starter, battery good, new starter 1 year ago. Clicks only, su
JC, you ain't going to believe this. I looked at your pictures, went back out to my tractor to compare. My smaller lug was on the back side. I had to move the wire to be able to access it because of the position. It was held to the solenoid by a phillips screw instead of a nut like yours. When I moved the wire I found out it was somewhat loose. I thightened it up with a phillips screwdriver, got back up on the tractor seat and low and behold the tractor fired right up. It ran like it had never had a problem. CONCLUSION: I would never in a hundred years found this problem without help. This saved me a trip to the tractor repair shop and lots of money, that I an sure of.

JC, you saved my bacon. You can credit yourself with guiding another inexperianced mechanic to a complete repair. My thanks go out to you and to the others that posted here. (Soundguy) Thanks Ray

That goes to show you, if you lead a horse to water enough times he will eventually drink!:thumbsup:

/ Ford 1700 not turning starter, battery good, new starter 1 year ago. Clicks only, su #15  
That goes to show you, if you lead a horse to water enough times he will eventually drink!:thumbsup:

That's great Ray,:thumbsup:

Your answer to the previous post was yes. I'm glad you figured it out without needing to go further in to it. like anything else you really need to break it down to small chunks to bite. I was fairly confident we could have gotten to he bottom eventually.

Happy it worked,
JC:)