Ford 1700 not turning starter, battery good, new starter 1 year ago. Clicks only, su

/ Ford 1700 not turning starter, battery good, new starter 1 year ago. Clicks only, su #1  

rayikeo2

Platinum Member
Ok, I haven't used the tractor for 6 weeks. Last job was tilling and parked in garage. Tried to start today. Turn key only hear click sound comming from the right side area. Starter is on left. Lights bright, pre heater coil working, charged battery and cleaned terminals, no change. Starter will not even grunt or try to turn, nothing there. I will jump the clutch safty switch tomorrow and test voltages to several places. I need to know what to test and trouble shoot. What can cause no action on starter? Is there a fuse to look for? Maybe a safety switch. Any help will be appriciated. I have a good voltage meter to use. Can anyone give me some hints of what to check? Could the new starter be fau;ty? Or maybe the solanoid? Ray :confused2:

/ Ford 1700 not turning starter, battery good, new starter 1 year ago. Clicks only, su #2  
Ok, I haven't used the tractor for 6 weeks. Last job was tilling and parked in garage. Tried to start today. Turn key only hear click sound comming from the right side area. Starter is on left. Lights bright, pre heater coil working, charged battery and cleaned terminals, no change. Starter will not even grunt or try to turn, nothing there. I will jump the clutch safty switch tomorrow and test voltages to several places. I need to know what to test and trouble shoot. What can cause no action on starter? Is there a fuse to look for? Maybe a safety switch. Any help will be appriciated. I have a good voltage meter to use. Can anyone give me some hints of what to check? Could the new starter be fau;ty? Or maybe the solanoid? Ray :confused2:

Hey Ray,

Why not put the tractor in neutral, wheels chocked, take a lead from battery positive and try to directly jump the starter. You'll be by passing safety and any electrical bad connection assuming you have a good ground. Similarly, if you have an emergency battery, then why not do what I suggested above but directly put the negative lead on starter ground(body) and positive on solenoid. if starter is bad you know right away. if starter is good then I'd be staring looking where you lose juice to the starter.

We can go from there to start diagnosis.

JC:)

/ Ford 1700 not turning starter, battery good, new starter 1 year ago. Clicks only, su #3  
anything yet?

/ Ford 1700 not turning starter, battery good, new starter 1 year ago. Clicks only, su
anything yet?

It is to dark to do any checking tonight. No lights in the shed. I did get to thinking about some possibilities of what might cause this.

Here is a question, if the power take-off was ingaged would it prevent the starter from engaging? I don't know if it is engaged or not. I will check after daylight tomorrow.

/ Ford 1700 not turning starter, battery good, new starter 1 year ago. Clicks only, su
JC, good to hear from you. I havent been here for a while. I see the format has changed some. I will try what you said tomorrow. I was wondering if you were still active here. Ray

/ Ford 1700 not turning starter, battery good, new starter 1 year ago. Clicks only, su #6  
JC, good to hear from you. I havent been here for a while. I see the format has changed some. I will try what you said tomorrow. I was wondering if you were still active here. Ray

Yes Ray, I'm live and kicking:D and chime in once in a while. You're pto is transmission driven and totally mechanical and no safeties to speak of, so it has no effect on the starting circuit. All you have is a neutral safety switch so you have to clutch all the way to activate a normally open switch to close and completer the starting circuit. You do not have pto safety switch. Try my suggestion tomorrow as it is the easiest way without taking anything off and allows you for a quick test. Report back tomorrow and we'll try to help however we can.

JC,:)

/ Ford 1700 not turning starter, battery good, new starter 1 year ago. Clicks only, su #7  
yep.. jumping everything out will be telling.. then if it does start.. just start backtracking 1 step at a time.

I am not sure where to hook the jumper on the starter. Positive from the battery is bolted to the center of the solenoid direct from the battery. From the solenoid into the starter case there is a flat braided copper wire which is insulated from the case. The battery is still in the tractor. I have a set of jumper cables. How should I hook it up. I don't want to short the starter out if it is good.

/ Ford 1700 not turning starter, battery good, new starter 1 year ago. Clicks only, su #9  
short out the starter?

the starter basically has 1 connection.. it's insulated and is the lug connected to the solenoid. the other connection is chassis ground.. and is achieved witht he starter housing bolted to the bellhousing.

that menas you got 1 wire to think about. no magic involved.. .. battery hot and insulated stud on starter need to have a date night....

remember.. tractor in neutral, range shifter, if any, out of gear... clutch blocked down... BE SAFE

Soundguy, thanks, but I am still not sure what. The battery already has the pos cable attached to the solenoid. To bypass the other electrical system (the ign and clutch safety) and jump the starter to see if it's going to turn over the engine I am thinking the jumper needs to be connected to some other place, otherwise I am not changing the 12 volt at the starter and not bypassing anything.