Boomer 30 broken stabilizer mount

/ Boomer 30 broken stabilizer mount #1  

Jkott

Silver Member
Tractor
NH Boomer 30 and LS MT347HC
Anyone else broken their stabilizer mounts for the 3pt hitch?

I got the Boomer 30 (LS Made) in mid August and slightly bent the left stabilizer bar the first weekend I used it (with the tiller, as it was setup by the dealer). Being my first tractor, I assumed I must have done something wrong. I was careful to not turn or backup with the tiller down and I don't remember hitting anything while turning.

Then over labor day weekend, I really used the tractor for all it was worth. Used the loader, box blade, tiller, and ended with the yard rake. While using the yard rake, I really bent the left stabilizer bar arm and snapped the pin on the right side bracket. That pretty much ended the weekend.

You can't order just the little stabilizer arm, you have to order the entire assembly. $80. The stabilizer bracket is just a steel plate welded to a steel plate, with a cast pin welded to it. $120. So I have the dealer order parts and they finally arrive from over seas after a couple week wait. I go to bolt the new part on, and it's the wrong one. The dealer ordered the right part number according to the parts finder on NH's website and my invoice, but I ended up with the left side instead of the right side.

Tonight, I talked them into giving me the correct part from the tractor on their lot while they sort out their supply issue. While I was there picking up the part, I wandered around their lot looking at their older used tractors to look at how they did their mounts. When I got to the donor tractor, I realized exactly why mine failed. The squared off top of the lynch pin was riding up on top of the stabilizer arm and looked like it would bind because the stabilizer arm has a curve in the plate that goes over the pin. If you only moved it up and down a few inches, it was fine. If you try to move the stabilizer bar part up and down, the lynch pin essentially becomes a wedge which pushes out the pin snaps the mount. If it doesn't snap the mount, it is likely to bend the stabilizer bar.

So, has anyone moved the 3pt hitch bars from the bottom hole to the top hole and bent a stabilizer or broken the mount?

I have photos and a video of the problem, and showed the dealers service in person the problem just before closing time tonight so I will give them a chance to work out the issue with NH warranty to refund the money on the parts and cover it under warranty, but more importantly, come up with a revised part to fix the issue.

I tried a search, but I didn't find a single person complain about it. Mine was made in 2011 and the tractor on the lot was manufactured in June 2012 and they both have the design issue. I would be stunned if there isn't someone else out there that has had this happen to. Anyone else had this happen?

/ Boomer 30 broken stabilizer mount #2  
Warranties are your friend.This should be on your dealer's dime.

/ Boomer 30 broken stabilizer mount
First thing the dealer did this morning was refund the money on the parts, so I am happy with them.

Now I just need to wait for CNH to redesign the part so it can actually be used through the full range of the 3pt hitch lift...

So far it is looking like the solution costs about 50 cents. The factory puts lynch pins that have a big mushroom head on them, which catches or binds and either bends the stabilizer bar or becomes a wedge and snaps the mount in two.

If you take the factory pins out and replace them with pins that have a smooth side, there are no issues.

/ Boomer 30 broken stabilizer mount #5  
Jkott - I have had the same problem with my 3 pt mounts. Would you mind sending me some pictures of your fix? I have already repaired the mount twice and have just broken it for a third time.

I ended up having two things break or bend, depending on the thickness of the weld and the tolerances in the pins.

On the left side, the stabilizer bar could not slide by the pin and it completely bent it ($80 assembly, bent part not available for order separately).
left-stabilizer-arm.png

On the right side, the stabilizer bar was able to slide by the pin and it became a wedge and blew the end off the stabilizer arm pin ($120 part)
right-stabilizer-mount.png

The ultimate problem is the wrong pin was used. Here are close up pics of both my tractor and the one sitting on the dealers lot. Having one at the dealer with the same problem made it very simple to get the replacement stabilizer and the mount covered under the New Holland warranty. Notice when the pin twists, that the bar cannot slide past it.
pin-overlap-1.jpg
pin-overlap-2.jpg

The solution I have found so far is to simply use a different style lynch pin. In this pic, the center one is the one delivered with the tractor. Notice the fat head that overlaps the round part on all sides (the center pin is flipped over compared to the other two, but it overlaps on all sides). The overlap is what is catching on the bar and causing the problem. You can clearly see where it is rubbing, grinding, and catching. I was checking everything else on the 3pt system for binding, but never thought I needed to check this part. Not to mention when the pins are straight they don't necessarily catch. When they vibrate and rotate is when they catch the corner the most.

The solution is the 25 cent pin I picked up at tractor supply (right--I dug through the bulk bin to find the smoothest ones) or the heavy duty pin the dealer shipped me on the (left). Notice how both of these are ground down and flat on one side.
pin-comparisons.jpg

/ Boomer 30 broken stabilizer mount #7  
Wow that is amazing. I had to look several times back and forth to understand what you were talking about, but finally I saw it. I have the same set up and I have never had any problem. Now I have top remember to look and see what I have, I nust have the right pins or I would have had the same problem.

/ Boomer 30 broken stabilizer mount #8  
I have the same issue word for word............! you are not the only one.....?

/ Boomer 30 broken stabilizer mount #9  
At least once you replace the broken parts, the permanent fix costs under a buck--flat sided pins.

If you are under warranty, **** even if you aren't, print the pictures from the thread and take them with and take the service manager out to their showroom/lot and demonstrate what's wrong and demand (politely) that they cover it under warranty.

Unhook the stabilizer from the lift arm, Rotate the pin so the mushroom head covers the stabilizer, and lift. When it binds, catches, or sticks, watch their jaws hit the floor.