FORD 3000 problems with restarting

/ FORD 3000 problems with restarting #1  

mender

Tractor
Ford 3000
I purchased a 68 Ford 3000 about a year ago for planting along with choppers and bush hog. This is my first tractor and don't know very much about it except it has a 3 cylinder diesel engine and if I work with it for a couple hours ( or once its good and warmed up) if I shut it down it will not start back up again until the engine has had time to cool down. I have bled the injectors on 2 seperate occasions and both times had no luck at starting it. I have checked all the fluids and air filter ( oil bath type). Can anyone point me into the right direction as to finding out what the problem could be?
Thank all of you who took time to read this.

/ FORD 3000 problems with restarting #2  
I'm just thinking off the top of my head here, but:

Fuel filters???

Compression??? I don't suppose you've done a compression check? Does it have excessive blow-by?

Weak battery or worn-out starter??? It may not be turning over fast enough. You might try pull-starting with another tractor or 4wd truck.

This won't fix the problem, but until you can correct the issue, just leave it running until you're finished for the day. These engines won't burn much fuel at low idle.

There are some real experts here that are very familiar with these tractors. I'm sure someone will jump in soon.

/ FORD 3000 problems with restarting #3  
my first sugestion would be to actually troubleshoot it vs just randomly doing things like bleeding injectors and waiting.

when you shut her down warm.. and she won't restart.

does she turn over any different?

does she make smoke?

if so.. what color?

what tranny? 4/6/8 ? ( non SOS ) if one of the manuals.. have you tried pull starting her?

getting any fuel overflow from the leak off lines to the tank when running at idle? at full clip?

when running.. before shut down.. how was she running? full power? any racing or erati throttle / governor control?

any missing?

when was the last decade the fuel filter(s) were changed?

getting good flow from t he filter head?

any stumbling or problems taking throttle

any excessive smoking when running?

assuming a simms inline IP.. ever service the cam box? was it oil lubed or fuel lubed at that time?

hows she start cold?

/ FORD 3000 problems with restarting
Thanks Bigfoot62
Fuel filter is new, Did not compression check yet was going to be my next move, battery brand new with starter turning the **** out of the engine.
Have been letting it idle between jobs lately since it could take between 2-3 hours for cool down and restart. I have not thought about a pull start of this tractor. Currently the tractor is at the hunting camp where normally any vehicle nearby would be an ATV.

/ FORD 3000 problems with restarting
Soundguy
I'll answer the best I can.

does she turn over any different?nope

does she make smoke? not really

if so.. what color?

what tranny? 4/6/8 ? ( non SOS ) if one of the manuals.. have you tried pull starting her? 8 speed 4 high 4 low

getting any fuel overflow from the leak off lines to the tank when running at idle? at full clip?that I don't know

when running.. before shut down.. how was she running? full power? any racing or erati throttle / governor control?runs good at idle and full power except when giving full power and a struggle there is a burnt oil smell that clears up when powering down. No racing or eratic throttle

any missing?none

when was the last decade the fuel filter(s) were changed? is new and only has one that I know of.

getting good flow from t he filter head?have not checked that yet

any stumbling or problems taking throttle: not at all

any excessive smoking when running?nope

assuming a simms inline IP.. ever service the cam box? was it oil lubed or fuel lubed at that time?do not understand

hows she start cold? third or forth spin of the engine, no problem

/ FORD 3000 problems with restarting #6  
my bet is on some fuel setting at the incetion pump, or some crud inside the injetion pump. I had a simiar issue with my dozer. Each time I stall it or shut it off while the engine is hot, it is a b**ch to start back up. I'd have to wait for 2 minutes an then she would start slowly, gave it a bit more fuel and all is well.

/ FORD 3000 problems with restarting #7  
go back over my list and fill in the skipepd questions.. they are important bits of info....

so far it's sounding like fuel....