Replacing power steering line on TC34Da

/ Replacing power steering line on TC34Da #1  

mjonesnh

Gold Member
Tractor
TC34DA
Yesterday I had a 1" split show up in one of the rubber power steering lines that goes from the metal hard lines to the cylinder beside the left wheel. Only one line is leaking but I am going to replace both lines while I am it. Lines were ordered yesterday and should be here this week. Hoses seem to have a flare nut where they couple to the hard lines and then it looks like 1/4 npt threads in the power steering cylinder. Advice in the hydraulic forum seems to agree that i can use teflon tape or PTFE paste if I am careful when applying to threads and believe I will use the paste. Anyone replaced these rubber hoses on the hydrostatic steering systems on the TC series tractors that has replacement tips? Thanks!

Last edited:
   / Replacing power steering line on TC34Da #2  
Use of teflon tape or paste is only required on NPT threads. Tapered threads and flared fittings require no tape to seal.

/ Replacing power steering line on TC34Da #3  
On more than one occasion I have run into incorrect installations of straight pipe fittings. Recently I serviced a leak on my steering cylinder straight pipe fitting. When I took apart the fitting I found that it was incorrectly packed with Teflon pipe sealant. Straight pipe fittings require an o-ring to seal.

The correct procedure for sealing straight pipe fittings can be found under the heading “Straight thread o-ring seal”.

Mike

/ Replacing power steering line on TC34Da
Yesterday I had a 1" split show up in one of the rubber power steering lines that goes from the metal hard lines to the cylinder beside the left wheel. Only one line is leaking but I am going to replace both lines while I am it. Lines were ordered yesterday and should be here this week. Hoses seem to have a flare nut where they couple to the hard lines and then it looks like 1/4 npt threads in the power steering cylinder. Advice in the hydraulic forum seems to agree that i can use teflon tape or PTFE paste if I am careful when applying to threads and believe I will use the paste. Anyone replaced these rubber hoses on the hydrostatic steering systems on the TC series tractors that has replacement tips? Thanks!

Hoses were installed yesterday. Bought can of Permatex PTFE paste and apllied to male threads except for last two threads. Female end was 1/4 to 3/8 JIC 37° flare so no sealant was needed. No leaks or drips.:)

Last edited:
   / Replacing power steering line on TC34Da #5  
The steering cylinder didn’t require any sealant on any of the fittings.

Was an o-ring present around the fitting with the backup nut and washer?
Any sealant on a straight thread will eventually be pushed out.

Mike

/ Replacing power steering line on TC34Da
The steering cylinder didn’t require any sealant on any of the fittings.

Was an o-ring present around the fitting with the backup nut and washer?
Any sealant on a straight thread will eventually be pushed out.

Mike

Sealant was applied to the tapered fittings on steering cylinder just as the original OEM fittings. Stopped two threads short of end of fitting so sealant would not come in contact with fluid. No sealant used on JIC female flare. No o-ring present just as oem hoses, metal against metal.