Best Antifreeze for TC45DA? Time for a flush and fill - Recommended Procedure?

/ Best Antifreeze for TC45DA? Time for a flush and fill - Recommended Procedure? #1  

Paul2000

Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
It is time to flush and fill it, any recommendations on type of antifreeze and procedure? I was going to dump the old, fill with distilled water, run it a while to clean it out and dump the distilled water after it cools down. I will do this a few times to get anything out that doesn't belong in the coolant path. Than fill with the recommended type and amount of antifreeze. Any advice appreciated. Paul

/ Best Antifreeze for TC45DA? Time for a flush and fill - Recommended Procedure? #2  
It is time to flush and fill it, any recommendations on type of antifreeze and procedure? I was going to dump the old, fill with distilled water, run it a while to clean it out and dump the distilled water after it cools down. I will do this a few times to get anything out that doesn't belong in the coolant path. Than fill with the recommended type and amount of antifreeze. Any advice appreciated. Paul

Check this post.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/oil-fuel-lubricants/121377-antifreeze-any-type-ok.html

/ Best Antifreeze for TC45DA? Time for a flush and fill - Recommended Procedure? #3  
I see no reason to flush your system unless you have a known problem or see rusty water when you dump your old antifreeze. The recommended antifreeze for your tractor is 50-50 permanent antifreeze the same as in automobiles. That's the normal Ethylene-Glycol type. If you want a more environmentally and animal friendly antifreeze, go with the Propylene-Glycol type. It's also much more expensive.

Don't get caught up in the anti-cavitation and cylinder wall pitting discussions. Your tractor is a dry-sleeved cylinder type and not susceptible to cavitation pitting. New Holland does not recommend anything but normal permanent antifreeze for your engine.

/ Best Antifreeze for TC45DA? Time for a flush and fill - Recommended Procedure? #4  
Stay away from propylene glycol. An ethylene glycol based, low silicate diesel coolant will work fine.

/ Best Antifreeze for TC45DA? Time for a flush and fill - Recommended Procedure? #5  
What does the owners manual recomend?

/ Best Antifreeze for TC45DA? Time for a flush and fill - Recommended Procedure?
The manual recommends a 50/50 mix of Permanent antifreeze. I have had bad experience with a Ford Gold in a 6.0 diesel engine and wanted to poll the board so see if there was any recommendations on the topic on this tractor. I try to do anything I can to keep her running in top shape and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I had read a lot on problems with the different coolants in other vehicles and wanted to make the right choice. Thanks Guys.

/ Best Antifreeze for TC45DA? Time for a flush and fill - Recommended Procedure? #7  
Everyone had problems with the 6.0 power stroke :). It was susceptible to head gasket failure regardless of the antifreeze.

What is wrong with propylene glycol, other than being really expensive?

/ Best Antifreeze for TC45DA? Time for a flush and fill - Recommended Procedure? #8  
What is wrong with propylene glycol, other than being really expensive?

In my opinion, the cost is the only factor. It's the deicing fluid used to deice airplanes before takeoff. If it were a big environmental hazard, airport deicing areas would be crawling with EPA HazMat signs and covered in dead birds and wildlife. As far as I know, it is environmentally friendly even though I'll pass on drinking it. I prefer my beverages made of Kentucky corn squeezin's.:D

/ Best Antifreeze for TC45DA? Time for a flush and fill - Recommended Procedure? #9  
I keep a 50/50 mix in my 1720...
I see no need to change it out...
I just top it off as needed...
Now my F350 Powerstroke is another story...
I flushed it out 5 years ago with anti freeze that has SCA additives in it...
I forget the name of it but it is a lifetime coolant...
Still yet, I plan on doing the flush again the spring...
The Powertrtroke has been known to have cavitation issues at times...

/ Best Antifreeze for TC45DA? Time for a flush and fill - Recommended Procedure? #10  
The "lifetime" used to describe automotive fluids is the lifetime of the vehicle if you don't take care of it.

Fluid additive packages get used up or they get contaminated. Yes technically motor oil in a diesel can still lube for 3 times the manufacturers rated mileage, but that's not why I change mine earlier. It picks up soot and metal particles smaller than the filter. It becomes acidic as the combustion gases on the cylinder walls mix with it. It becomes diluted on cold starts with fuel that gets by the gap in the rings. The anti rust components also get consumed and sacrificed to save the metal you want to keep.

The Atmosphere mixes with and oxidizes the fluid in the recovery tank which is taken into your engine every time it heats and cools. I wouldn't advise just topping it off for ever.

Changing it out at reasonable intervals is a good plan.