Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Leaking Seal on TN55

I have a badly leaking seal on the draft control flex bar. I've removed the bolts to the housing but can't budge it off the flex bar to get to the seal. Repair manual is no help. Any advice?

Tractor
    Case 885, JD 730D, Ford 4000

Default Re: Leaking Seal on TN55

Rotate the housing so you can tap on one of the ears. If you have the bolts out and the draft arm and bushings removed from the torsion bar, nothing else (except friction) is keeping the housing from coming off.
    We have too much gun control.
    What we need is more idiot control.

Thanks. I got the housing rotated but it's a bear to get sufficient purchase on the housing to overcome the friction and pull it off the bar. But I'll give it the old heave-ho today and see what happens.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Ford 7710, Ford 550, Ford 1910, Ford 4430, KD Forklift, Ford LGT17H, New Holland L255 Skidsteer

Apply penetrating oil and tap heavily on the shaft toward the case. Once the shaft is through the bearing housing, push the shaft back through from the opposite side. If it is really corroded, you will have to clean the shaft with emery cloth. Apply never seize to the shaft when assembling.

Tractor
    Case 885, JD 730D, Ford 4000

Quote Originally Posted by TractorTech View Post
    Apply penetrating oil and tap heavily on the shaft toward the case. Once the shaft is through the bearing housing, push the shaft back through from the opposite side. If it is really corroded, you will have to clean the shaft with emery cloth. Apply never seize to the shaft when assembling.
    Then plan on changing the seal on both sides (should anyways).
    We have too much gun control.
    What we need is more idiot control.

Thanks! I'm applying penetrating oil now. Will let you know how it turns out.

It worked perfectly. Thanks for the help. Now all I have to do is change out the seals. Any pitfalls to avoid on that?

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Ford 7710, Ford 550, Ford 1910, Ford 4430, KD Forklift, Ford LGT17H, New Holland L255 Skidsteer

Not really. The seals are soft and will remove and install fairly easy. Make sure to clean the seal groove and seat the seal completely in the groove. Clean any roughness off of the shaft, apply lube to seal and never seize to shaft.

Thanks. Do I have to remove the ball bushings to get to the seal? And if so how do I remove the retaining clip? The new seals I bought from the NH dealer are "upgraded" and have a rigid frame that I presume seats in the groove.

Gold Member
    Tractor

Oops. I recently did another brand that was the other style.
    On the NH, yes you do have to remove the clip and ball bushing. A pick and small screwdriver to 'roll' the clip out, then a socket that just fits the bore to push the ball bushing out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast