Leaking Seal on TN55

/ Leaking Seal on TN55 #1  

Bandit457

I have a badly leaking seal on the draft control flex bar. I've removed the bolts to the housing but can't budge it off the flex bar to get to the seal. Repair manual is no help. Any advice?

/ Leaking Seal on TN55 #2  
Rotate the housing so you can tap on one of the ears. If you have the bolts out and the draft arm and bushings removed from the torsion bar, nothing else (except friction) is keeping the housing from coming off.

/ Leaking Seal on TN55
Thanks. I got the housing rotated but it's a bear to get sufficient purchase on the housing to overcome the friction and pull it off the bar. But I'll give it the old heave-ho today and see what happens.

/ Leaking Seal on TN55 #4  
Apply penetrating oil and tap heavily on the shaft toward the case. Once the shaft is through the bearing housing, push the shaft back through from the opposite side. If it is really corroded, you will have to clean the shaft with emery cloth. Apply never seize to the shaft when assembling.

/ Leaking Seal on TN55 #5  
Apply penetrating oil and tap heavily on the shaft toward the case. Once the shaft is through the bearing housing, push the shaft back through from the opposite side. If it is really corroded, you will have to clean the shaft with emery cloth. Apply never seize to the shaft when assembling.

Then plan on changing the seal on both sides (should anyways).

/ Leaking Seal on TN55
Thanks! I'm applying penetrating oil now. Will let you know how it turns out.

/ Leaking Seal on TN55
It worked perfectly. Thanks for the help. Now all I have to do is change out the seals. Any pitfalls to avoid on that?

/ Leaking Seal on TN55 #8  
Not really. The seals are soft and will remove and install fairly easy. Make sure to clean the seal groove and seat the seal completely in the groove. Clean any roughness off of the shaft, apply lube to seal and never seize to shaft.

/ Leaking Seal on TN55
Thanks. Do I have to remove the ball bushings to get to the seal? And if so how do I remove the retaining clip? The new seals I bought from the NH dealer are "upgraded" and have a rigid frame that I presume seats in the groove.

/ Leaking Seal on TN55 #10  
Oops. I recently did another brand that was the other style.
On the NH, yes you do have to remove the clip and ball bushing. A pick and small screwdriver to 'roll' the clip out, then a socket that just fits the bore to push the ball bushing out.