3 PT. hitch drops too slowly

/ 3 PT. hitch drops too slowly #1  

Tractorganic

Silver Member
Tractor
NH/TC40D SS; BCS 850, Brush Mower, Sulky, 'Tiller, Chipper, Snow Blower; JD X570-48-A
I have to stand on the arms of my TC40D's 3Pt. Hitch to get it to go down any faster than creeping. It raises fine. What could be wong? It used to raise and lower at the same brisk speed.
Thanks, Chris

/ 3 PT. hitch drops too slowly #2  
I have to stand on the arms of my TC40D's 3Pt. Hitch to get it to go down any faster than creeping. It raises fine. What could be wong? It used to raise and lower at the same brisk speed.
Thanks, Chris

Turn the little drop rate knob under your seat counterclockwise. This knob regulates the rate of drop of the 3pt hitch, and needs adjustment depending on the weight of the implement on the 3pt.

James K0UA

/ 3 PT. hitch drops too slowly
Thank's James. I suspected it was something simple. I monkeyed with that knob to try to get the seat stiffer. It was bouncing/bottoming out bad and I thought the manual referred to that knob for adjusment. Oh well, guess I'll go undo my "repair"!
Chris

/ 3 PT. hitch drops too slowly #4  
As James said, the drop rate knob below your seat is directly below the bigger knob that adjusts the seat height/tension. It's the little black knob with white writing in this photo. It only functions to set the drop rate of the 3PH. Lifting the 3PH bypasses this needle valve. Also, with nothing on the lift arms, they will be slower going down than raising in normal operation, but they should fall at a pretty good rate if you have the drop rate adjusted properly.

DropRateAdj.jpg

/ 3 PT. hitch drops too slowly #5  
Thank's James. I suspected it was something simple. I monkeyed with that knob to try to get the seat stiffer. It was bouncing/bottoming out bad and I thought the manual referred to that knob for adjusment. Oh well, guess I'll go undo my "repair"!
Chris

Well check your manual carefully, I have a seat adjuster under the seat too, and the 3pt drop knob.. Of course my tractor is a kioti not a NH, but they are all similar. If you turn the drop rate knob too far clockwise, the 3pt will not drop at all, no matter what is on the 3pt. Good luck with it..

James K0UA

/ 3 PT. hitch drops too slowly
Thank you Jim for the photo and distinction between the two knobs. By the way, belated birthday greetings. I turned 65 too this week so, how many presidents have served in our lifetimes?
Chris

/ 3 PT. hitch drops too slowly #7  
By the way, belated birthday greetings. I turned 65 too this week so, how many presidents have served in our lifetimes?
Chris

Thanks Chris! I hope your 65th was as good as mine. :thumbsup:

...and your question about Presidents? The answer is all of them including Truman and later.:D Actually, I think I could easily name every one of them, but my favorite was Dwight Eisenhower. Not only was he an accomplished general, but as president he signed the legislation that created the interstate highway system. In my opinion, the interstate highway system was our transportation revolution in this country. That was a boon for travel, trade, and trucking. The auto industry in this country owes its growth to those great highways. Lots of other neat stuff too: NASA, airlines, and telecommunications all owe their success to that humble little device called the transistor.:)