Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    New Holland TC35D, Case TR320 CTL

Default TC35D 4WD Noise

I'm hearing a light clunking sound when going from forward to reverse in 4wd. Sometimes the clunk stays around if I back up quite a bit. Messing around with it this morning it did do a pretty loud bang one time then went away. If I take it out of 4wd the clunk goes away. A near as I can tell the noise is coming from mid tractor, not the front. I was hoping that it was one of the pins or couplings on the driveshaft, but I took the cover off and everything looks fine. The driveshaft splines look fine too. Any ideas?

Update...Another large bang and now 4wd is gone. The shifter and shaft on the trans move freely but it stays in 2wd.
    Last edited by RDrancher; 10-08-2012 at 12:22 PM.
    John

My Work & Stuff Photo Thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/p...to-thread.html

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Default Re: TC35D 4WD Noise

RD, my guess is the front differential, especially with problems noted here in the past. I think the reason the noise seemed to come from the mid-area is that it transmits down the driveshaft. I'd bet you will find your ring gear is toast. Normally the bolts loosen on the ring gear end plate and allow bad stuff to happen. Sorry, it just doesn't sound good. If you want to just run in 2wd, I'd sure go into the differential and remove the guts. Letting things work around in there is a sure way to get more damage.

Edit: With the problems you had with the seals/bearings in the drop boxes, you probably aren't really thrilled to have to go back into the front axle. I sure wouldn't be happy.
    Jim

Tractor

Thanks for the reply Jim. I was looking more toward the drop box on the trans, but the pto works. Bearing is a little noisy but it works. I'll look towards the front end and see if I can locate any noise.

Maybe its time to move up to that 210LE.

I'm starting a job tomorrow with the kubota SVL75. I guess now is the time to tear into the old girl.
    Last edited by RDrancher; 10-08-2012 at 02:20 PM.
    John

My Work & Stuff Photo Thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/p...to-thread.html

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

This happened to my tractor(TC40D) before I bought it. Had actually been test driving, and wondered why 4wd did not work. No work, no buy. It was consighnment with low ours at local tractor shop I use, and had low hours.

They pulled it apart; bolts on ring gear... I think it got new ring gear and pinion, but diff was ok.

Has worked fine since.
    RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

Tractor

I shifted into 4wd, then took the driveshaft cover off. The driveshaft is locked up nice and tight at the drop box end. It slips at will at the front and noisy as well when turning either axle. I think you're right, but I won't know until I get in there whether its just the r&p or the diff gears got munched too. Too bad nobody makes a Detroit Locker for this thing. I could really break some stuff then!

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to taking BOTH final drives apart. At least I'll be updating the final drive bearings on the other side, but Thank God I don't have to split the tractor! Thanks for the redirection Jim!
    John

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by RobertN View Post
    They pulled it apart; bolts on ring gear... I think it got new ring gear and pinion, but diff was ok.
    Thanks Robert. That helps narrow it down.
    John

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

Mine was not noisy when we test drove it. Saw it while torn apart; sorry but the drop gear boxes had to come off...

I am not sure, how hard it was to set up the ring/pinion. I did not see or ask about that. I know for a car/truck you have to get the diff side thrust set, and the pinion depth set; not sure on tractor.

Tractor

Robert, mine wasn't noisy after it broke. With the tractor shut off and when spinning the tires you can hear it though.

It looks like the driver side housing unbolts from the center section to access the differential, bearings and thrust washers. R&P's are sold as a set so obviously the pinion gear would have to be set as well. The set is $650 from Messicks...WOW!

I've had one final drive apart from #1 in the link photo on down. It doesn't look like both sides need to be dropped, but I've been wrong before. I think I'm going to give it a shot. I've set up R&P's on Dana 60's and Toyota LC diffs. Hey, how bad could it be?

TC35D 4WD Noise-canvas.png

Edit: Ah...there's c-clips on the outer ends of the axles. Finals have to come off.
    Last edited by RDrancher; 10-08-2012 at 04:15 PM.
    John

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

There's always the Lincoln Locker

Quote Originally Posted by RDrancher View Post
    Too bad nobody makes a Detroit Locker for this thing. I could really break some stuff then!!

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by RobertN View Post
    There's always the Lincoln Locker
    HaHa...Ready for the Little Sluice!

I'm mulling over the diagrams on Messicks and I was wrong about the c-clips. Think I'll try to yank her apart. Maybe one more cold one first.
    John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast