Ford 801 As A First Tractor??

/ Ford 801 As A First Tractor?? #1  

Native87

Tractor
1046 C.C
I have a dealer close that has a nicely maintained Ford 801 for $2000. I need a tractor to bushhog, plow, disc, rake and sickle bar mow with. I am not used to a single stage clutch tractor and want to know if I can do those type jobs with this tractor. It is a 4 speed and wondering if the gearing is low enough for those various jobs. Any experience, suggestions etc would greatly be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

/ Ford 801 As A First Tractor?? #2  
add a over ridding pto clutch for bushhogging and you are good to go. your tasks are what it was designed for

/ Ford 801 As A First Tractor??
Thanks Bucktaker. So it should be fine with a sickle mower? Ground speed wise? After more reading on the forum here I realize it is a 841.

Thanks Bucktaker. So it should be fine with a sickle mower? Ground speed wise?

/ Ford 801 As A First Tractor?? #5  
We farmed with a Ford 841 with power steering and wish we still had it, gearing won't be a problem for your needs; great little tractors. My brother uses our old Ford 600 as you will be using your tractor and he has other tractors available, very maneuverable tractor.

I apprciate that. This one doesnt have PS. Wish it did. Wonder if anyone has ever baled with this type tractor? Round or square?

/ Ford 801 As A First Tractor?? #7  
I appreciate that. This one doesn't have PS. Wish it did. Wonder if anyone has ever baled with this type tractor? Round or square?

Then be sure to keep your thumbs outside of the spokes, I have dislocated my thumbs and sprained wrists driving them in rough ground or the woods; not unique to Fords.

Can't help on haying, I've bucked about a gazillion bales, but never baled any.

/ Ford 801 As A First Tractor?? #8  
I think that tractor might be able to handle a few square bales with a small baler, but it won't last long with that kind of work on a continuous basis. On most of those tractors, the clutch and transmission are no longer in optimum condition. The brakes are also highly suspect. It won't do round bales at all and I wouldn't do square bales either. You really need a much larger tractor for the main baling tasks. You can get a world of work and help from that $2000 tractor if you don't ask it to do too much. Running your sickle-bar mower and a hay rake should be fine. You may even pull a hay wagon if you don't get super big loads and the brakes are in very good condition. Just remember that your tractor is very lightweight and the best brakes won't stop something that outweighs the tractor by 5000-7000 lb.

Thanks jinman. The mowing raking bush hogging plowing and discing will be its main job. The more I hear from you folks that know these tractors the more I am edging to the "buy it" side. I appreciate yalls time.

/ Ford 801 As A First Tractor?? #10  
2000$ for an 841? if it was near me I'd already own it.

great mower and raker.. plow like crazy with 2 10-12-14 bottoms or a single 16. maybee 3 12's in sand. or turned farmsoil.

i know guys that square bale with em.. but not ideal with the non live pto when they go to plug.. and the plunger DOES beat the heck out of you. ( but would do it if needed )

round bales? only a rotobaler.. :)