Advice on Turf Tires for a Ford/NH 1720

/ Advice on Turf Tires for a Ford/NH 1720 #1  

72RR

Tractor
Ford 1720
Hello, looking to pick your brains for a minute.
I've been wanting to get a set of turfs and rims for my '95 4wd 1720.
The manual calls for 28-8.50-14s on the front and 13.6-16s at the rear.
I haven't had any luck finding a full set anywhere near me.
Evidently they used the same rear tire/rim combination on models from 1320 through 1900.
Fronts seem to be another story though - 5 bolt rims unique to the 1720.
I've located a set of diamond tread pattern tires with rims for the rear about an hour and a half from me.

My question(s):
Would you get these and try to figure out something for the fronts?
Keep looking?

Thanks for any input.

/ Advice on Turf Tires for a Ford/NH 1720 #2  
You might try these guys Unverferth Equipment .
They might be able to shed some light on how odd those wheels might be.

/ Advice on Turf Tires for a Ford/NH 1720 #3  
I bought a 1720 SSS years ago with turf tires and liked them but found them to cause severe driveline binding because the diameters were not matched properly.
Also the quality of the front turf tires is rather poor and prone to sidewall and tread rupture and are also quite expensive.
After purchasing a couple new tires & dealing with the driveline bind for years I went online and found an auto tire that virtually eliminated the driveline binding.
After installing the tires I fine tuned the rolling diameter by adjusting the tire pressures.
Next time I’m up in the barn I will check the size of the tires.
I strongly advise against investing in new stock tires.

/ Advice on Turf Tires for a Ford/NH 1720 #4  
If you are still looking, I may have a set of used front rims. I will check a nd let you know tonight.

/ Advice on Turf Tires for a Ford/NH 1720
Much appreciated.
1) I went to the Unverferth site, sounds like if they don't make it they'll custom build it. Price may be a concern, I'll go to one of their dealers next week.
2) Thanks for checking. I seemed to remember you had done some work in this area; I had hoped you would weigh in.
3) Thanks for checking. If you do (and shipping isn't prohibitive) I may be very interested.

Any thoughts on using diamond treads?

/ Advice on Turf Tires for a Ford/NH 1720 #6  
I don't have any rims. They are a unique, metric, 5 bolt pattern that Ford stopped using with the 20 Series. The TC's used standard wheel patterns. I will check with a couple of dealers that may have some old rims.
As far as the stock turf tires go, 90cummins is right on. The tires are 2 ply for most of brands in that size, maybe a couple of 4 plies, but the sidewalls a vulnerable. Industrial, R4 tires with the chevron tread are the most popular option later on because of durability and fairly smooth footprint, but some traction. Could you use something like that instead?

/ Advice on Turf Tires for a Ford/NH 1720 #7  
It is unrealistic to expect to find a complete matching F & R set within reasonable driving range, if anywhere. If you want to keep your AG set you will almost certainly need to buy new tires and rims. You may be more successful trying to trade your AG set for a complete turf set.

SDT

/ Advice on Turf Tires for a Ford/NH 1720 #8  
It is unrealistic to expect to find a complete matching F & R set within reasonable driving range, if anywhere. If you want to keep your AG set you will almost certainly need to buy new tires and rims. You may be more successful trying to trade your AG set for a complete turf set.

SDT

This is probably gonna be your best solution...
I run the AG tires on my 1720 and like the overall performance...
I just gotta be a little careful if turning really sharp while mowing...

/ Advice on Turf Tires for a Ford/NH 1720
Thanks for all the responses.
I had considered R4s, but for some time have been warned away from them due to side-slippage issues my hillsides.
I do want to keep the Ag tires (though they will need replacing before too long) and wheels; with only one tractor I want to keep my options open as much as possible.

/ Advice on Turf Tires for a Ford/NH 1720 #10  
Much appreciated.
Any thoughts on using diamond treads?

I have Diamond treads on the rear of my 2wd Ford 2000, it had been used like that, with chains and rear weight, for plowing snow,
and that is what I will be using it for too.
(I believe it was diamond pattern because it had been used at a golf course, and they added the chains and rear weight to plow the parking lot.)
Without the chains and rear weight I have gotten stuck on wet lawn, and had to use the loader to get going. With the chains I haven't had problems so far, and only recently added a rear weight.
Even with the chains, the damage on the lawn is only from the front tires, because of the weight of the loader, and especially on sharp turns.
(Rear weight is a 600lb 55 gal drum on the 3 point hitch.)